Japanese opposite of schadenfreude?
April 1, 2019 1:24 AM   Subscribe

I'm pretty sure I read about a Japanese word that means "a feeling of pleasure at watching others succeed" -- right here on this site, no less. Anyone know the word, or did I dream it?

I thought I might have learned it in the Ducklings Going Up Stairs thread, but seemingly not. All I can get out of Google is mudita (right concept, wrong language).
posted by aws17576 to Writing & Language (7 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite
If it helps, the Japanese version of the wiki page on mudita is 喜, which is the root of 喜び (yorokobi, noun) and 喜ぶ (yorokobu, verb).
posted by sukeban at 5:46 AM on April 1, 2019 [1 favorite]

It's not Japanese, but compersion.
posted by gregr at 7:09 AM on April 1, 2019

I think I saw the same thing here, but it was a German word -- something-else-freude. But I don't remember the thread.
posted by LizardBreath at 7:20 AM on April 1, 2019

Not Japanese, but I saw the term confelicity for the first time in a post on the blue-- the link was to this tweet.
posted by Nyrha at 7:31 AM on April 1, 2019

Seconding mudita, the Buddhist term for sympathetic joy.
posted by namesarehard at 8:54 AM on April 1, 2019

I love the Yiddish word naches which means pride or joy in another's accomplishment, usually for a child or student, someone who you trained. I don't know Japanese at all, but perhaps there's an equivalent.
posted by peripatetron errant at 9:07 AM on April 1, 2019

One can call it Mitfreude in German.
posted by meijusa at 11:03 AM on April 1, 2019

« Older Dating in Scotland vs London   |   Macy's furniture service plan sounds good, but I'm... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.