Scratch that DIY for apartment-dwellers itch

I absolutely adored ReadyMade Magazine back in the day. I anticipate having a little more time than usual this spring to invest in some (small-scale not a ton of power tools or space and as a renter nothing permanent to my dwelling) DIY projects. What should I read for ideas?

ReadyMade (the book and the magazine) were pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. They had a nice variety of different types of projects that could be carried out by someone with varying skill sets or access to tools/space/time.

I used to read Apartment Therapy and Design*Sponge, but both sites have felt a little less relevant to me over the past few years.

I've replaced them with HomeMade Modern (which is fantastic!) and Manhattan Nest.

*Looking for specific suggestions rather than "look up Reddit or Pinterest" so if you have a specific redditer or pinterest-er or project you recommend please feel free!
posted by forkisbetter to Grab Bag (6 answers total) 25 users marked this as a favorite

There's always IKEA hacking. This is just one blog, but pretty much everyone has posts about it.
posted by kevinbelt at 1:25 PM on March 27, 2019

I like the Craftster forums - they have great tutorials and ideas on all kinds of topics. Here's the master list for DIY projects around the house.
posted by ananci at 1:26 PM on March 27, 2019

Instructables is less curated but for me it's the thing that best scratches the ReadyMade itch.
posted by tofu_crouton at 2:11 PM on March 27, 2019

I asked kind of a similar question a while back seeking blogs; you might find useful links in that thread. A Beautiful Mess also does a lot of renter-friendly DIYs as seen in this search.
posted by stellaluna at 2:20 PM on March 27, 2019

Curbly has neat projects for both indoor and outdoor home design and decorating!
posted by shortyJBot at 5:45 PM on March 27, 2019

Back in college, before Pinterest was a thing, I used to visit Cut Out + Keep a lot when I was scoping out new ideas for small craft or DIY projects. I haven't checked it out in awhile, but it looks like it's still going strong.
posted by helloimjennsco at 9:31 AM on March 28, 2019

« Older 33p! h4lp me survive 80-hour weeks at code school!   |   High-quality text-to-speech app for Android? Newer »