Do All The Things: Video Edition

YouTube or TV shows where the host tries a new challenge each episode: what goes into the planning and production of these videos?

One of my favourite genres of YouTube is where the host takes on a new challenge each episode. Some examples are Michelle Khare (mainly fitness/physical challenges but she's branched out), Safiya Nygaard (home & beauty), Try Living With Lucie (5-day lifestyle challenges), Brad Leone's It's Alive! (cooking-related and not necessarily framed as a "challenge" but it's very experiential), and basically a good chunk of Buzzfeed. This is pretty much my Dream Job.

What goes into the planning and production of these videos? I'm watching Michelle's Q&A right now and it looks like she's often training for multiple videos simultaneously, and some videos take months of planning because they involve organising time with external bodies. Safiya does tend to plan hers months in advance but it's often contingent on getting items delivered (she does a lot of shopping challenges). I'd imagine that this process would be different if you're an independent YouTuber compared to working for an established company, especially in terms of access and funding.

Speaking of funding - where do they get the money to do these??? I've seen videos that are sponsored, but given the YouTube Adpocalypses it seems like ad revenue alone isn't going to be enough to pay for, say, a $5000 zero-G airplane ride. Would companies let you train like one of them for free in return for publicity? Shooting and editing is going to be its own process.

I gather everyone's process is going to be very unique, but if you've worked on something like this and have some insight on how you worked I'd love to hear about it.
posted by divabat to Media & Arts (2 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

There’s a show on the Ctritical Role Youtube channel called All Work No Play that might be what you are looking for. The last two ‘seasons’ are also available as Audio podcasts, but I personally think the audio only versions of the show mean you miss a lot of the physical comedy of the hosts (and their guests) trying new things.
posted by Faintdreams at 5:27 AM on June 6, 2019

Faintdreams: That's an example of the kind of channel I'm into, but it's not really answering the question of how these episodes get made in the first place.
posted by divabat at 7:32 PM on July 8, 2019

« Older Device to alert for sms   |   Bestest cheapest way to get from Seatac to UW... Newer »