Simple, free, 2D floor plan program for desktop

Long version: I'm looking for a free floor plan program that I can use on my PC desktop (not my phone). Something really simple and basic -- I want to quickly do up a sample floor plan and be able to easily change it around. Don't need 3D views or furnishing mock-ups; 2D will be fine. I'm most interested in being able to control the foundation size and the room dimensions.
posted by dancing leaves to Home & Garden (6 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite

Sketchup has a free version that I am considering downloading myself.
posted by Lawn Beaver at 3:05 PM on March 15

I use floorplanner.com.
posted by matildaben at 3:28 PM on March 15

ikea web site
posted by patnok at 6:30 PM on March 15

If it's already on your PC, I have used Microsoft Publisher for this exact purpose. I set the dimensions to pi and use 1pi per inch as scale. Even has some architectural symbols. Nothing fancy but it does the trick & very simple to get the hang of.
posted by i_mean_come_on_now at 6:41 PM on March 15

http://www.sweethome3d.com

You don't need to use the 3D part if you don't want to.
posted by jonathanhughes at 8:27 PM on March 15 [3 favorites]

Second SH3D - it's fricken awesome.

Basic stuff is super easy. The capacity for commercial-level stuff is still there, but optional.
posted by porpoise at 8:51 PM on March 16

« Older Should I hire an online CPA to do my taxes?   |   Transitioning chem. relaxed hair to natural curls... Newer »