Help me replace these beloved boots

I’ve had these Frye ‘Rogan’ men’s tall lace-up boots for almost a decade, having worn them with suits (before they got so beat-up) and casually. After several resolings the leather is splitting and they need replacing. I want something similar, but the closest Frye has in tall boots now has zipper+laces. I only want laces. I’m looking for something higher quality than Doc Martens and resole-able. Red Wings are nice but their tall boots look like hunting boots. I’m willing to spend a bit with the idea that these will last close to another decade. Wishlist below the fold:

• simple, combat style
• about an 8” shaft (taller than Chelsea boots)
• NO zippers, buckles, harness rings or elastic gussets
• rounded toe
• fairly heavy, soft full-grain leather (NOT pebbled, textured, or patent)
• NOT 'pre-stressed' or pre-worn looking
• thick-ish sole and heel, stacked (not the moulded Doc Marten style)
• full lace-up with metal eyelets
• pull loop at the top would be nice
posted by theory to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (16 answers total) 13 users marked this as a favorite

You say that Redwings look like hunting boots, but have you looked at their "Heritage" line? I have boots similar to those in your photo from both Frye and Redwing, and much prefer the Redwings.
posted by salt grass at 2:13 PM on March 13 [2 favorites]

Would these Ariats work? Possibly more rugged than you are looking for.
posted by Grandysaur at 2:13 PM on March 13

I think this Ariat actually gets pretty close but I'm not sure it will work for you.
posted by Medieval Maven at 2:17 PM on March 13

The Fluevog BBC seems close.
posted by seanmpuckett at 2:18 PM on March 13

Dayton 8" Ranger if you don't mind the two-tone and the two extra eyelets. Dayton service boots might work too, though it's a bit lower. There are a bunch of colours/finishes in the dropdown menu.

I have a pair of 25 year old Daytons that have been resoled twice and are still going strong (though I guess they ought to be at that price).
posted by Cuke at 2:32 PM on March 13

The gold standard for lace-up American boots is, to my knowledge, White's Boots of Spokane. I don't see anything like what you are looking for, but maybe you'll see something that you like as much or more.
posted by Glomar response at 2:57 PM on March 13

I've been wearing the Chippewa 6" service boot for a few years now and it's held up very well. The 8" version looks similar and is reasonably priced.
posted by ludwig_van at 3:12 PM on March 13 [1 favorite]

salt grass: Yep the Red Wing Iron Ranger is in the right neighborhood style-wise (as is the Dayton Service Boot that Cuke linked to), but I was looking for something taller.
posted by theory at 3:16 PM on March 13

Maybe these boots from Nisolo?
posted by kitty teeth at 3:21 PM on March 13

Choices abound in 6”, which I’m sure is what you’ve found too. Allen Edmonds and Thursday have been on my shortlist. Some of these on a work boot site are on the dressier side.

If you haven’t already run across it, the terms “jump boot” or “parade boot” may help with your googling.
posted by supercres at 4:01 PM on March 13

Sorry that link should be https://www.bootbarn.com/workwear/work-boots/mens-8-inch-boots/
posted by supercres at 4:07 PM on March 13

Corcoran jump boots in brown. I have some of their steel toe field boots that are still my winter standard after 14 (!!) years. Lace up with leather laces and they won't look any more military than your previous pair.
posted by wires at 7:46 PM on March 13

here's a picture of some corcorans that somebody antiqued, but just added some brown polish and wearing them for a month would probably take you 60% of the way to this.

also, corcorans vary in price by ~$50.00 depending on who's selling them, so do shop around.
posted by wires at 7:56 PM on March 13

Maybe look at what Oak Street. I’ve got a pair of these that I’ve been wearing for a couple of years casually and with suits and love them. But they have quite a few different styles.
posted by austinetsu at 5:25 AM on March 14

If you don't mind sinking some serious money into this, you can get custom boots for ~$400-600. I have custom boots from White's Boots (ordered through Baker's Boots custom build-a-boot site). (sidenote: the images in the build a boot site suck--look at pictures of the boots and leathers on the Bakers Boots and White's Boots site first to see what they actually look like.) I think the Smoke Jumper or Semi-Dress should fit your needs. You select every aspect of the boot, which can be intimidating at first glance. R/goodyearwelt has a great guide to ordering custom boots that walked me through the whole process. Kyle at Baker's Boots is still the person doing the custom orders and he was helpful and professional.
posted by carrioncomfort at 5:56 AM on March 14

And not to abuse the edit window: Baker's will do repairs and rebuilds for these boots. They are made to last and made to be repairable.
posted by carrioncomfort at 5:59 AM on March 14

« Older Job advice re: teaching English/creative writing...   |   good n p'lenta Newer »