Nature guide for Spring?

This winter, I've been reading a book called "A Guide to Nature in Winter (Northeast and North Central North America)" and it is fantastic. There are separate chapters on wintering trees, birds, mammals/tracks, insects, winter weeds, and snow. In other words, rather than focus on a particular topic, it's a kind of holistic guide to the season. I'm wondering if there is something similar out there for Spring?

And Summer! And Fall!

A focus on the Northeast US would be best, but more general books also welcome.
posted by gwint to Science & Nature (4 answers total) 18 users marked this as a favorite

The book you will love is Naturally Curious with Mary Holland (there's an older one already in print) which outlines what the various critters and plants are doing season by season. I love it. She has a nice blog with nature photos on it.
posted by jessamyn at 11:44 AM on March 11 [2 favorites]

By Bernd Heinrich: Winter World: The Ingenuity of Animal Survival and Summer World: A Season of Bounty. I haven't read it yet, but his A Year in the Maine Woods may also scratch the itch.
posted by carrioncomfort at 1:07 PM on March 11 [3 favorites]

Well, these books are about exactly the opposite side of the US to your request, set in the desert Southwest, but Sonoran Desert Spring and Sonoran Desert Summer by John Alcock do exactly what you are talking about, delving deeply into the weather, geology, plants and animal lives of the Sonora during the hottest months of the year. They are wonderfully written and really capture the feeling of the desert at these times of year.
posted by DSime at 8:36 AM on March 12

This is a little less on target, but if you haven't read Dillard's Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, you may enjoy it. It's her observations of the natural world spanned over four seasons.
posted by Think_Long at 8:23 AM on March 13 [2 favorites]

« Older Talk to me about "smart" TVs. More specifically...   |   Streaming ballet for 3 year old Newer »