Automated GPS classification

I'm wondering if a software tool exists that will classify GPS coordinates into location types (home, restaurant/bar, office, park, etc).

I have lots of GPS coordinates and I want to classify them, but it's much too large to do by hand. Surely places like Google have something like this, at least behind the scenes. But is there something like this available to the public?

That's it!

Thank you!
posted by Lutoslawski to Computers & Internet (5 answers total)

The closest thing I could think of is OpenStreetMap. Maybe check out their public API. Its dataset is not as complete as any of the closed alternatives, but it should at least be able to narrow things down for you.
posted by tobascodagama at 9:58 AM on March 11 [2 favorites]

Try Google Maps API
https://developers.google.com/places/web-service/intro
posted by WizKid at 10:10 AM on March 11 [2 favorites]

The general term you’re looking for is “reverse geocoding”
posted by supercres at 11:08 AM on March 11 [2 favorites]

reverse geocoding gets you an address from a coordinate. Still does not categorize.
posted by j_curiouser at 11:36 AM on March 11

Foursquare, I'm pretty sure, offers this as an API - there looks to be a (very limited) free tier.
posted by kickingtheground at 1:31 PM on March 11

« Older I'm after truly slick Google Slides templates   |   Food, drink and sights to see in Cleveland Newer »