How to store an antique quilt

My mom has a quilt that dates to around the time of the Civil War. It's currently folded up on top of a wicker chest, with another blanket on top of it. Is there a better way to store it?

This quilt was professionally appraised and dated to c. 1865. It's mostly wool challis with cotton prints. Parts of it are in poor condition, with some damaged areas, some moth damage, and some disintegrating fabrics. I'd like to prevent any further damage. I don't think that's possible where it's currently being kept.

What are the best options for storing something like this, and where can I find more information on storing antique textiles at home?
posted by shapes that haunt the dusk to Media & Arts (2 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

It should be rolled, not folded.
posted by sacrifix at 3:31 PM on March 7, 2019 [6 favorites]

Quilt storage tips from the Great Lakes Quilt Center at the Michigan State University Museum
posted by dtp at 3:47 PM on March 7, 2019 [4 favorites]

« Older Recurrent Relationship "problem" - partners who...   |   NYC sublease, no heat, no water for the night--... Newer »