Stories about identity (especially religious or national identity l)

Looking for short stories about religious or national identity (for instance stories that focus on the experience of being Pakistani, or being Jewish, etc).

I’m looking for stories that center around a religious or national issue of identity. So far we’ve thought of books like ‘Midnight’s Children’ and ‘My Name is Asher Lev’ (or his ‘The Chosen’, not sure which would be better). But can you think of good short stories or magazine writing on the subject? Thank you!
posted by ldthomps to Human Relations (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Seems like almost anything by Sholem Aleichem might fit the bill.
posted by The Underpants Monster at 3:56 PM on March 1, 2019 [1 favorite]

I have a book called Two-Countries: US Daughters and Sons of Immigrant Parents which might be of interest. The pieces are probably shorter than what you're looking for.
posted by hoyland at 6:21 PM on March 1, 2019 [1 favorite]

You might try the African Identities which is an open access journal and really fantastic
posted by fshgrl at 6:32 PM on March 1, 2019 [1 favorite]

Most of the short stories collected in Nathan Englander's For The Relief of Unbearable Urges deal with Jewish identity in one way or another.
posted by yankeefog at 1:44 AM on March 2, 2019 [1 favorite]

Almost any Philip Roth. In the Light of What We Know, novel by Zia Haider Rahman
posted by Obscure Reference at 6:17 AM on March 2, 2019 [1 favorite]

I believe somebody posted this on here a few weeks ago:

The House on Mayo Road by Pakistani writer, Dur e Aziz Amna
posted by spicytunaroll at 11:14 AM on March 2, 2019 [1 favorite]

You probably want to read some Isaac Bashevis Singer and perhaps some Shalom Auslander.

You could try some Hanif Kureshi Jhumpa Lahiri.

The Golem and Jinni is an excellent novel.
posted by brookeb at 4:42 PM on March 2, 2019 [1 favorite]

« Older Can blockchain improve my sex life?   |   Disco, DJing, and HiFi equipment in in 1979 Newer »