A list of the GTFO web sites?

I'm tired of following a link to a web site that informs me that I've visited the site too many times this month and I've got to pay to read more. Especially when it's early in the month and it's the first time I've been there. (I think Gannett applies it across all of its properties.) If I could, I would simply apply a blacklist of those sites. Has anyone put together a list of the offenders?
posted by megatherium to Computers & Internet (11 answers total) 12 users marked this as a favorite

This is not an answer to your question, but you may be able to use outline.com (either enter the article URL into the outline thing or just add outline.com/ before the address in your address bar).
posted by pompomtom at 4:31 AM on February 27, 2019 [11 favorites]

Also not an answer to your question, but an incognito browsing tab also solves this problem for me.
posted by permiechickie at 5:16 AM on February 27, 2019 [9 favorites]

As above, Outline and other services like Pocket and Instapaper can often bypass these annoying sites. I read whatever I want, I just don't do it on the site itself.
posted by 0bvious at 5:55 AM on February 27, 2019

Incognito or Private windows do not save cookies or history, so you can close and reopen the window to re-gain access. Or you can use a different browser.

The term used is paywalled or membership site. Here are a couple items, but I'm not aware of a comprehensive list on any site
Quora Which content sites have paywalls?
wikipedia List of public domain resources behind a paywall

I subscribe to my local paper online, and will subscribe to the NYTimes again when my finances improve. I can't afford to subscribe to lots of news sources. At some point, I think they'll start consortiums so people an subscribe once to get access to a number of resources. Many libraries have subscriptions and I visit my library and read papers there, because I'd rather support journalism; I just can't afford as much as I'd like.
posted by theora55 at 8:26 AM on February 27, 2019 [2 favorites]

my nypl card allows me to access papers from home.
posted by brujita at 9:14 AM on February 27, 2019 [1 favorite]

The Washington Post does this after a few articles. I think the limit for The New York Times is still 10. I also think the Boston Globe and the Denver Post do this automatically if you have ad-blockers. The New Yorker lets you read about 4 articles a month. Incognito mode gets around most of these for me.
posted by zeusianfog at 10:39 AM on February 27, 2019

The most egregious offenders now won't let you load their sites at all with an adblocker up, or in incognito mode.

If you're willing to unblock all their bullshit, clearing your cookies afterwards still mostly works to reset your article count. But that allows them to at least partially track you (as an endpoint, if not fully cross-referenced with known profiles).

Sadly, Rock Paper Shotgun now falls into this category (due to its Eurogamer buyout).
posted by snuffleupagus at 5:56 PM on February 27, 2019 [1 favorite]

Well, it looks like nobody will answer this, and I wanted answers to it too. The ones I remember off the top of my head are:

* NYTimes
* New Yorker
* New York Magazine and all of its attendant websites (The Cut, Vulture, etc)
* Washington Post
* Boston Globe (I think, I don't look at that one much)
* Sacramento Bee
* Vanity Fair
* Medium (why?????)
posted by jenfullmoon at 6:51 AM on March 1, 2019

foreignpolicy.com
Daily Beast
posted by jenfullmoon at 8:40 PM on March 7, 2019

wired.com
posted by jenfullmoon at 9:52 PM on March 8, 2019

bloomberg.com
posted by jenfullmoon at 3:57 PM on March 15, 2019

« Older Songs where the singer refers to their own name...   |   What's wrong with my light table? Newer »