Books about improving self-esteem

I’m looking for recommendations for books or workbooks that focus specifically on how to increase confidence and self-esteem? Information about overcoming imposter syndrome is also welcome.
posted by mkuhnell to Health & Fitness (8 answers total) 13 users marked this as a favorite

Specifically, my issues are around dealing with authority figures (doctors, superiors at work) and about my performance (work, hobbies, parenting).
posted by mkuhnell at 11:49 AM on February 17, 2019 [1 favorite]

I hear really good things about What to Say When You Talk to Your Self

Another thing to look into is CBT, but I don't have specific recommendations.

posted by pyro979 at 12:21 PM on February 17, 2019 [1 favorite]

Not a book specifically, but are you aware of Brene Brown's work? She addresses shame, being brave, the foundations of self-esteem -- all that sort of thing -- in what many find to be a very supportive and useful way. She has Ted talks you can find. I saved, for a while, a list of six books she recommended about becoming brave but recently cleared my bookmarks and no longer have that. However, she has published a ton of books herself; google her and you will find multiple resources.
posted by luaz at 12:46 PM on February 17, 2019 [1 favorite]

I recommend Where to Draw the Line: How to Set Healthy Boundaries Every Day by Anne Katherine. I found it a quick read with lots of practical, empowering tips.
posted by smorgasbord at 2:26 PM on February 17, 2019 [1 favorite]

This book helped me a lot, particularly the chapter on worth, and the one on compassion. The realization that compassion for others can lead to compassion for self, and vice-versa, was a revelation.
posted by Serene Empress Dork at 4:00 PM on February 17, 2019

A friend of mine highly recommended Overcoming Low Self-Esteem by Melanie Fennell. It's based on cognitive-behavioral techniques.

I found Radical Acceptance by Tara Brach to be very helpful. Brach is a Buddhist psychotherapist and meditation teacher but the book is eclectic and not strictly a Buddhist text. I found it useful for exploring the anxieties and judgmental voices that arise around my self-image, and it was the first self-help book that really helped me to grok the idea of unconditional positive self-regard in a way that didn't feel forced or awkward.
posted by murphy slaw at 7:25 PM on February 17, 2019 [1 favorite]

I can't pick one best answer until I've looked at all these great recommendations, but I wanted to say thank you to everyone!
posted by mkuhnell at 12:21 PM on February 18, 2019

Self Compassion by Kristen Neff!
posted by mulkey at 9:03 PM on February 18, 2019

« Older Suggestions for books on what it's like to work in...   |   Choosing a meal replacement Newer »