Notify me if something from a film festival gets a wider release?

Some friends and I, in the US, very much want to watch the movie Esto no es Berlín/This Is Not Berlin, which apparently recently appeared at Sundance. None of us pay any attention to movies in general, we're just gay Mexican-art nerds who are excited about this one. ELI5 how to figure out when/whether it will get a wider release, and ideally how to get some kind of notification when that happens.
posted by nebulawindphone to Media & Arts (5 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

I guess the easiest thing to do would be to set up a google alert? That way you would know if the movie gets picked up for distribution, which is likely the next step before any release news.
posted by cakelite at 7:21 PM on February 3, 2019 [1 favorite]

Try following their Instagram - they’ll want you to know when they get distribution. Follow harisama as well.
posted by stellathon at 9:36 PM on February 3, 2019 [1 favorite]

Seconding cakelite. I actually saw a press release about the release sooner than the film I was interested in posted on its social channels
posted by TravellingCari at 11:02 AM on February 4, 2019

Yeah following the production team's social media is your best bet but a Google alert could work as well. Looking through the movie industry trades I'm not seeing any North American distribution for it... which doesn't necessarily mean anything. As it was nominated for the Grand Jury prize at Sundance I'd guess we'll likely see it on some platform in the future, sooner rather than later.
posted by Ashwagandha at 11:54 AM on February 4, 2019

I attend a couple film festivals a year, and often want to find out when my favorites will get a wider release so I can see it again and/or send friends. The best way I've found is to follow the official social media accounts--they'll usually share news of impending showings and releases quite far in advance.
posted by rhiannonstone at 9:05 PM on February 4, 2019

« Older Should I break up with my friend?   |   Stodgy, middle aged folks wondering how to do... Newer »