Shuffled, scrambled, randomized

I have some found text (lists of words and phrases) that I'm using for a writing project. I'm looking for some easy online tools to manipulate the text to help me get ideas. I've found plenty of tools to shuffle the order of entries, and I can translate back and forth. What are some other tools that can help? I'm especially interested in any kind of erasure tool, but I'd love any tips.
posted by mermaidcafe to Technology (7 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Have you seen the Lazarus Corporation's Cut-ups & the Text Mixing Desk? Similar.
posted by Iris Gambol at 7:13 PM on February 1

I've had great fun with the Internet Anagram Server, it'll handle quite long strings.

I used it once to try and pop the myth\propaganda that New Zealand is a
"clean green land'

which gave me

'canned allergen'
posted by unearthed at 7:37 PM on February 1

Would something like WordClouds help to inspire you?
posted by BeBoth at 8:38 AM on February 2

The Internet Anagram Server will only do 26 characters, but I'll look for another site.

posted by mermaidcafe at 2:46 PM on February 2

I've had interesting results from Markov chain text generators, specifically this one. Though you do sometimes have to sift a lot of garbage out first.
posted by Spathe Cadet at 3:48 PM on February 2

Always been a big fan of this Travesty Generator.
posted by degoao at 7:33 PM on February 2

Blackout poetry toy: http://blackoutpoetry.glitch.me/
posted by moonmilk at 11:49 PM on February 2

« Older Photo prints with rounded corners: where to order?   |   Is my relationship as toxic as I worry it is? Newer »