Fun (ironic) tunes to play on the Flutophone

A friend of mine gave me a Flutophone as a joke. Now ofcourse I have to counter this by getting at least a proper song under my belt, that is NOT a Christian hymn, or a kids song.

I've tried Eye of the Tiger, and the Star Wars tune, and a bit of the recorder solo in "Fool on the Hill", but I can't get the highest note out, because I think it doesn't exist on the Flutophone.

All your song suggestions are very welcome!
With notes even better.
posted by Thisandthat to Media & Arts (13 answers total)

Blowing in the wind

76 trombones

Lovely bunch of coconuts

Shaving cream
posted by tilde at 10:07 AM on February 1, 2019

I had never heard of a Flutophone, but looking it up, it seems like it's a one-octave (plus) instrument. (This video has a chart that goes from Middle C to the D above the one-octave C).

Given that, it seems like you should be able to play any song that has the one-octave range. This is a list of songs that are able to be played on the harmonica. They should all fall into that one-octave restriction. There are harmonica tabs (if you can read those) to help you along.

Hope that helps. Please let us know what you finally decide to learn.
posted by sardonyx at 10:34 AM on February 1, 2019 [1 favorite]

It looks like the Tonette has a range of just over an octave. The thing that came to mind was Country Gardens, which suits the range perfectly, but is not particularly ironic.
posted by Cheese Monster at 10:49 AM on February 1, 2019

I’m a flutophone enthusiast and my favorite song to play is “Erie Canal.” It is an easy song to find online and easy to play on the flutophone.
posted by FergieBelle at 11:22 AM on February 1, 2019 [2 favorites]

Can you play All Star by Smashmouth?
posted by Emmy Rae at 11:58 AM on February 1, 2019 [4 favorites]

I've played recorder for *mumblemumble* decades, used to teach, and HIGHLY recommend the Team Recorder YouTube.

Among their videos they have tutorials for various songs - the one I was just looking at was Hedwig's theme from the Harry Potter movies.

Musescore.com has a huge database of songs entered by users that's searchable by instrument. if you search for recorder you should be able to find stuff for your flutophone.
posted by The Underpants Monster at 3:35 PM on February 1, 2019

Low Rider
posted by 23skidoo at 4:10 PM on February 1, 2019

I not good at ironic, but I can read music. The Flutophone's range is C5 to D6. A long list of songs (but no sheet music) for an instrument with the same range, the Ocarina.
posted by Homer42 at 4:33 PM on February 1, 2019 [1 favorite]

An easy tune is the well-recognized Ode to Joy, from Beethoven's 9th Symphony.
posted by megatherium at 4:47 PM on February 1, 2019 [1 favorite]

the Jurassic Park theme
Bad Romance
the only part from Final Countdown anyone cares about
Darude's Sandstorm
posted by phunniemee at 5:46 PM on February 1, 2019 [1 favorite]

Smoke on the water
posted by hortense at 6:56 PM on February 1, 2019

"Take Me Out to the Ball Game" in the key of C-Major seems doable, especially if you dispense with the g-sharp on the "me" of *buy me some" and just play a g-natural. And Harpo thought it was lowbrow enough to be funny on his instrument.

I'm in bed and on my phone right now, but if you're interested I can notate it for you tomorrow.
posted by The Underpants Monster at 7:27 PM on February 1, 2019 [1 favorite]

Awesome! thanks so much!
And so useful to see those sites with songs-by-range.

By now I've got the Ode to Joy covered, and working on my Final Countdown.
Splendid!
posted by Thisandthat at 2:34 AM on February 3, 2019 [1 favorite]

« Older Why is my electricity and gas bill so high?   |   Just the Conditioner, Please. No Plastic Packaging... Newer »