What is your favourite slow cooker recipe book?

What it says on the tin- I received a slow cooker just before Christmas and am looking for a cookbook to use with it. I would like it to contain a variety of recipes- risottos, meat and vegetables, pasta whatever. I have never used a slow cooker before and am an intermediate cook (I have basic skills but something with techniques in it would not be wasted). Most importantly recipes should be tasty!!
posted by EatMyHat to Food & Drink (8 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite

Slow Cooker Revolution would be my recommendation; I'm a huge fan of the publications by America's Test Kitchen. I have made many recipes from this book with great results. It has a recipe for an overnight French toast/bread pudding that has blown a few minds over the years.
posted by EKStickland at 11:12 PM on January 17 [3 favorites]

Forgot to add: I’m Australian so measurements need to be metric or cups and tablespoons
posted by EatMyHat at 11:12 PM on January 17

This is going to sound really weird, but the CEO of T-Mobile is a big slow cooker fan and he put out a cookbook around Christmas, which I bought on a whim. He apparently does a Facebook show every week that is him just talking and throwing food in a slow cooker, and it gets millions of viewers. Who knew? Anyway, I've done a couple of the recipies and they've been tasty. Budget Bytes (online) is another place whose recipes are in my regular rotation.
posted by COD at 5:17 AM on January 18 [1 favorite]

I hate to do the annoying thing where your question says, "I need a metric cookbook" and I respond by saying "Have you considered non-metric cookbooks?" but... Have you considered non-metric cookbooks?

I live in the UK but I've found that if I'm willing to keep a set of imperial measuring cups and spoons, and a kitchen scale that can switch back and forth between imperial and metric, it opens up a lot of cookbook options. (And if I use a recipe a lot, I just figure out the conversions to metric and write them in the book, so I don't have to even switch my scale units.)

When I first got my slow-cooker, I looked at cookbooks from both the US and the UK, and the three I ended up using most often are all from the US. Unfortunately, that means I don't have any great metric suggestions, so please feel free to just ignore the rest of this post if you are (understandably) set on metric.

I would second Slow Cooker Revolution, and add in Slow Cooker Revolution Volume 2. The recipes in the first volume are great (and are well within the skills of an intermediate cook), but they have many steps and tend to be time-consuming. I find myself going back much more often to volume 2, where the recipes are more streamlined and it's faster to get stuff into the cooker.

That said, about 10% of the recipes use ingredients like tapioca pearls that are not extremely common in the UK. If they are similarly unavailable in Australia, it will lessen the usefulness of these books -- but I've found the remaining 90% of recipes good enough that I come back to these books all the time.

My other favorite is The Art of the Slow Cooker by Andrew Schloss. Also in imperial, but the ingredients seem to be ones that are more common in the UK. Not sure how that applies to Australia.
posted by yankeefog at 6:08 AM on January 18 [2 favorites]

Honestly, I would recommend you go to amazon.com.au, search for "slow cooker recipe book" and sort by customer recommendations. You don't need to purchase them there, but you'll get metric cookbooks.

One cookbook that stands out, at least for the title, is "Dump Dinners: Amazingly Easy and Delicious Dump Recipes" by Julia Grady
posted by blob at 7:29 AM on January 18

Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker has been my go-to. The recipes are clear and fairly reliable and I don't think I've had anything that's turned out badly. As I type this, I have some ribs cooking away with this recipe from the book:
1 large onion sliced
1 tart apple sliced
1 rack of pork ribs
2 pounds sauerkraut rinsed and drained
1/2C white wine
1/2C chicken broth
1/2t caraway seeds
Lightly grease the crock, layer in onion and apple. Put ribs on top (cut in half if needed). Layer sauerkraut. Add wine and broth. Sprinkle with caraway. Cook on low for 8 hours.
posted by plinth at 8:06 AM on January 18 [1 favorite]

This sounds gross but it's utterly delicious, and I cook it all the time during the winter months.

Step 1 - Plonk a piece of Pork in the slow cooker

Step 2 - cover with two cans of Campbell's (Or equivalent) mushroom soup. Season with cracked black pepper (doesn't need any salt)

Step 3 - Cook on low for 6-7 hours.

At the end of the cooking process you'll have pull apart, tender pork in a delicious creamy sauce... it's amazing served over rice or with potatoes or whatever you desire.

This is my true definition of slow cooker cooking... 2 ingredients that require zero prep and taste magical at the end of it!
posted by JenThePro at 1:50 PM on January 18

A book we have liked is the Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker by Robin Robertson. A favorite that we have in rotation during winter is the White Bean Cassoulet on page 102. It's a pretty wide ranging cook book - there's a recipe for a bobotie and vegetarian haggis as examples. We made a few things from it that have been able to satisfy devoted carnivores. It is most definitely not metric.
posted by Ashwagandha at 4:28 PM on January 21

« Older Meat with sides (separate) in the instant pot   |   Just dropped from birthday party invitation... am... Newer »