Help me remember the title of historical novel set in Paris

A friend is trying to remember the title of a historical novel he read in the last 5 years which he thinks was recently published when he read it.

Things he remembers:
- set around a cafe in Paris post WW1 or WW2
- some of the characters are Russians, possibly Russian authors
- the title might include the word "Michael" or possibly "el something"

I realise this is very vague, I'm hoping it was a really popular novel that might ring a bell with someone.
posted by fever-trees to Media & Arts (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

It sounds maybe like an Alan Furst novel. Maybe Red Gold? or Dark Star? All of the titles listed on the website have a brief description of the story.
posted by Little Dawn at 7:20 PM on January 7

Here is a list of novels set in Paris and another and another. Unfortunately not by date by they may jog your friend's memory.
posted by TheRaven at 12:22 AM on January 8

Possibly The Map and the Territory by Michel Houellebecq.
posted by the webmistress at 9:56 AM on January 8

Butting in. Not this book, but if wartime Paris is your friend's jam, suggest this. An amazing read.
posted by kate4914 at 10:54 AM on January 8

Thank you all for the suggestions and recommendations. TheRaven, I searched your first link for "mich" (based on the "michael" recollection), and found "The Incorrigible Optimists Club" by Jean-Michel Guenassia, which is the book in question!
posted by fever-trees at 3:37 PM on January 8

« Older Is it safe to store a car key in a lock box?   |   How to become a person - tv edition Newer »