I’m on a search for a sound and looking for recommendations
January 1, 2019 10:00 AM   Subscribe

This may be difficult to describe because it’s an auditory phenomenon. I’m looking for songs with a certain type of electronically generated sound that I perceive as a “candied note.” The best example I can come up with is in Crystal Castles’ ‘Vanished.’ I can also kind of hear it in the “shimmery” notes of Passion Pit’s ‘Sleepyhead.’

It’s not quite a chime. I think it might have something to do with chiptune and a set of computer generated sounds that are more readily associated with video games. I heard about Kath’s misdeeds before I found out that ‘Vanished’ was their song, so I want to avoid rummaging through the band’s back catalog. I hope y’all will be able to help me out.
posted by Selena777 to Media & Arts (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
I'm not sure what it's called, but here's how someone reproduced it. It can be done by manipulating waveforms and their response and release, apparently!
posted by limeonaire at 10:08 AM on January 1

You mean the high melody line? That’s a Casio VL Tone preset, you know the VL-1 that is also a calculator. I think that preset is called “Fantasy”.
posted by w0mbat at 10:31 AM on January 1 [2 favorites]

Animotion's Obsession has that echo-y synth sound too.
posted by heatvision at 4:00 AM on January 3

« Older Please help me find this child development website...   |   Dumber than a doorbell? (NuTone LA174WH won't work... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments