Astronomy Forums

Are you an amateur astronomer who belongs to a great online astronomy forum? Which one, and what makes it great? I'm looking for well-moderated forums, of course!

I'm a still-beginning backyard astronomer but am getting to the point where I'd like a specialized place to ask questions and read more advanced astronomers' discussions. There are several forums and it's hard to get a sense of which ones are useful and well-moderated and which ones suck! Minimal sexism preferred, family-friendly is a plus (as in, people talk about doing astronomy with kids/grandkids/schoolchildren, not as in people never drop f-bombs).
posted by Eyebrows McGee to Science & Nature (5 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Oh, I forgot to add, US Midwest ... I suppose an Australian forum might be awesome on learning how to use a telescope but probably not as useful for events I could observe!
posted by Eyebrows McGee at 12:55 PM on December 27, 2018

Cloudy nights was good when I was more active in astronomy.
posted by jclarkin at 1:25 PM on December 27, 2018 [2 favorites]

Yep, Cloudy Nights is by far the best.
posted by Grumpy old geek at 1:27 PM on December 27, 2018

Thirding Cloudy Nights. I'm a professional astronomer, but often turn to Cloudy Nights for the stuff I do that overlaps with the amateur interests (mostly running our small observatory). I have a colleague who says that astronomy is the only field where calling someone a "true amateur" is a compliment. It's really true; the bredth and depth of expertise on Cloudy Nights is astonishing.

I'd also try to find a local club that meets in person, if you can. There's nothing like hands on help.
posted by Betelgeuse at 7:51 PM on December 27, 2018 [2 favorites]

"I'd also try to find a local club that meets in person, if you can. There's nothing like hands on help."

Yes, definitely! The trick, as always, is escaping my children long enough to attend a meeting! :D
posted by Eyebrows McGee at 10:40 PM on December 28, 2018 [1 favorite]

« Older How to start caring what I eat?   |   Sewing: practical source of zany kids' clothes, or... Newer »