What can I make instead of persimmon cookies?

I wanted to bake persimmon cookies but wasn't able to find any of the right kind of persimmons. What can I substitute in for the persimmon pulp in my recipe that will have a similar texture and will go well with the rest of the ingredients/flavors (cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins, walnuts) ?

My current recipe uses 1 cup sugar and this results in a cookie that is on the already on the slightly less sweet side, which is my preference, but I don't want an even less sweet cookie. If I use (unsweetened) canned pumpkin, should I add more sugar to compensate and if so how much?

Any other ideas for alternate ingredients?

posted by desert to Food & Drink (8 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

I recently used apple sauce in a cake that usually calls for persimmons. It wasn't as delicious as the original recipe, but still very good. If I do it again, I'll add lemon juice -- the apples didn't give the brightness of flavor that persimmons do. The persimmon recipe called for mashed persimmons, and with hachiya persimmons that basically means gloppy liquid. So I added a little water to compensate when using the apple sauce.
posted by wryly at 12:33 PM on December 23, 2018 [2 favorites]

Any chance apricots could work?
posted by vers at 12:34 PM on December 23, 2018 [1 favorite]

Slow roasted sweet potatoes! They get nice and sweet so no need to add sugar.
posted by DSime at 12:35 PM on December 23, 2018

Canned or fresh pears, pureed.
posted by loveandhappiness at 12:44 PM on December 23, 2018

Apples or pumpkin.
posted by Toddles at 7:57 PM on December 23, 2018

Mashed sweet potato with a bit of orange juice.
posted by Frenchy67 at 8:03 PM on December 23, 2018

Mango?
posted by dancing leaves at 8:04 PM on December 24, 2018

Thanks everyone! These all sound good, and the suggestions to use citrus juice were helpful. I ended up using mashed bananas with lemon juice and they came out really well.
posted by desert at 1:02 PM on January 13

« Older Shaving my head without a razor blade?   |   Should we allow our software developer to work... Newer »