Save my rugelach

I somehow accidentally made puff pastry dough instead of rugelach dough. Can I recover? Pics inside.

Recipe is 240g butter, 170g cream cheese, 75g sour cream, and 240g plain flour + some salt. I cut the butter and cream cheese into cubes and put it all in the food processor just until it came together and started riding around the machine in a ball, refrigerated overnight, and got this when I rolled, topped, assembled, and baked.

As you can see in my second photo, the butter is clearly still not incorporated, so that's why I've got so much puff.

I still have 2/3 of the dough in the fridge. My question is, can I chop it up and put it back in the food processor for another round to incorporate the butter more thoroughly? If so do I need to let it warm up a bit from fridge temp first, or just go for it? Or is this a terrible idea and should I just embrace the accident and use it like I would puff pastry (palmiers, spirals, etc)?

I'm really hoping to recover my rugelach, but what I REALLY don't want is for it all to go to waste, so is the answer is to embrace the puff, that's what I'll do.
posted by cilantro to Food & Drink (5 answers total)

Do you have any more cream cheese? To my eye that seems like it isn't enough. They look TASTY but not like rugelach. Add another 60g of cream cheese to match the amount of butter, run it in the food processor as quickly as possible, try another batch?
posted by wellred at 12:45 PM on December 20, 2018

Israeli rugelach are made from something like croissant dough. So I say press on!
posted by 8603 at 1:29 PM on December 20, 2018 [1 favorite]

My question is, can I chop it up and put it back in the food processor for another round to incorporate the butter more thoroughly?

That's exactly what I thought to suggest after looking at the photos.

If so do I need to let it warm up a bit from fridge temp first, or just go for it?

I'd say just go for it, and then if it isn't working, just give it 10 minutes or so and try again.
posted by showbiz_liz at 1:44 PM on December 20, 2018

Aside from that being a neat failure mode, I'm with the consensus here: let the rest of the dough warm up somewhat, stick it back in the food processor and blow it to Hell. Ought to be fine.
posted by Making You Bored For Science at 4:04 PM on December 20, 2018 [1 favorite]

Rugelach made with puff pastry sounds amazing. I say go forth and enjoy your mistake.
posted by Toddles at 4:57 PM on December 20, 2018 [2 favorites]

« Older how do I cope with anorgasmia from antidepressants...   |   Looking for these Puma shoes in Canada Newer »