How do you replace a lost California learner's permit?
February 19, 2006 11:33 PM   Subscribe

How do you replace a lost learner's permit in California? I read on the DMV's website how to replace a lost license -- you have to make an appointment, pay some money and fill out a whole new application. But what about a lost learner's permit. If I have a photocopy of the original, can I drive with that? Or do I need to go to the DMV and obtain a new permit?
posted by Carsey to Travel & Transportation around California (4 answers total)
Umm, I'm pretty sure a learner's permit falls under the category of "lost license"... Yes, it's not a full license, but it's still a driver's license of sorts. And I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty dang sure that a photocopy is useless, legally. Just go to the DMV and get a new one, and your ass will be covered.
posted by antifuse at 3:45 AM on February 20, 2006

If nothing else I suspect the DMV would like to cancel the one that the guy that found it is now trying to use for himself. (You might like that too.)
posted by mendel at 7:05 AM on February 20, 2006

"Technicians are available to assist you during normal business hours if you cannot find the DMV information you seek on this website. Call volumes are high on Mondays and not all calls can be answered. The best times to call are Thursdays and Fridays. You may contact us at 1 (800) 777-0133."

From my experience, set aside 30 minutes for hold time and, as suggested, avoid Monday mornings (or Tuesdays after a holiday).
posted by namret at 7:33 AM on February 20, 2006

I don't know about CA, but in Iowa a lerners permit is a license. It just has an additional 'restriction'
posted by delmoi at 8:03 AM on February 20, 2006

« Older MTV's YO! MTV RAPS -- Ed Lover Dance soundtrack   |   T.E.D. tugboats? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.