Ghosts + cops
December 13, 2018 7:17 PM   Subscribe

What are some films in which ghosts give clues to a (living) policeman trying to solve an unsolved murder? I feel like I've seen this before but can't recall where. Thanks!
posted by egeanin to Media & Arts (14 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

TV show, but "Randall and Hopkirk, Deceased." (Randall's a PI.)
posted by praemunire at 7:33 PM on December 13, 2018 [2 favorites]

Not a film, but: River (Netflix).
posted by axiom at 7:38 PM on December 13, 2018 [1 favorite]

I figured TVTropes would have examples and picked the first semi-relevant thing that came to mind (The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service), which turned up Unfinished Business and I See Dead People--the latter of which mentions at least one film that meets your criteria, though on looking at the whole list I wonder if my assumption this would be easy to find was influenced by popular TV shows like Ghost Whisperer, Medium, or to a lesser extent iZombie that are only near matches.
posted by Wobbuffet at 7:52 PM on December 13, 2018

Best answer: The 1990 Bob Hoskins + Denzel Washington movie Heart Condition
posted by oh yeah! at 7:52 PM on December 13, 2018 [1 favorite]

Practical magic with Sandra Bullock perhaps.

First instinct with the kinda dumb r.i.p.d.but the cop was dead too, so it doesn't qualify.
posted by TheAdamist at 8:31 PM on December 13, 2018

The Sixth Sense is kind of like this, except the ghosts are giving their clues to a little boy, and not all of the clues are about murders. But there is a cop, there are ghost clues, and a little girl's murder gets solved. Anyway, I better not say more lest I spoil the end; it's only been 19 years!
posted by pseudostrabismus at 9:36 PM on December 13, 2018

No film / TV suggestions from me, but I can offer up a book recommendation - the Dubric Byerly mysteries by Tamara Siler Jones are an excellent example of this theme.
posted by stormyteal at 10:04 PM on December 13, 2018

There is What Lies Beneath, although the clue is to the wife, not a policeman.
posted by Jubey at 10:56 PM on December 13, 2018

Pushing Daisies kinda qualifies!
posted by Hermione Granger at 11:38 PM on December 13, 2018 [2 favorites]

Ghostwriter, the kids’ TV show!
posted by suedehead at 12:50 AM on December 14, 2018 [3 favorites]

Dead Heat, with Joe Piscopo. Not a ghost, but close enough.
posted by shapes that haunt the dusk at 1:50 AM on December 14, 2018

The Spike TV movie SIS.
posted by heatvision at 4:13 AM on December 14, 2018

A 2007 tv series starring Jeff Goldblum called Raines.
posted by still_wears_a_hat at 1:20 PM on December 14, 2018

It's been a while since I've seen it so I'm not entirety sure, but I think the movie The Woman in White fits this description.
posted by Neely O'Hara at 6:52 AM on December 15, 2018

« Older Organizing contacts on my phone   |   Cross-Border Medical Care, Holiday Edition Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.