Above the Treetops I Can See More Music
December 10, 2018 1:23 PM   Subscribe

I am looking for ghostly, otherworldly, cross cultural music/songs similar to Above the Treetops. I want to use additional music with ATT in a lengthly slideshow presentation.
posted by Xurando to Grab Bag (5 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

You might like Jeremy Dutcher's piece "Mehcinut." Official audio here; much longer live version here. Dutcher is a classically trained opera singer and musicologist who composed this piece that combines Western opera and old wax cylinder recordings of traditional Maliseet songs (he is a Wolastoqiyik (Maliseet) member of the Tobique First Nation in North-West New Brunswick). The live version I linked to is from the Polaris Prize broadcast--he won the 2018 Polaris for the album this song is from.

This is not at all the kind of music I normally listen to, and in fact I often find the Polaris Prize winners a little too inaccessible, but I've been listening to this constantly since hearing it on the CBC. It's otherworldly and gorgeous, a really powerful piece.
posted by hurdy gurdy girl at 2:45 PM on December 10, 2018 [1 favorite]

I got some strong Dead Can Dance vibes from your link.
posted by turbid dahlia at 3:38 PM on December 10, 2018

There are a lot of potential tracks in David Bridie's oeuvre. eg: Cockatoo, Talk mister nation, Tatabai (with George Telek). Check out his mid 1980s stuff too when he was working a lot with musicians and influences from West Papua.
posted by Thella at 4:32 PM on December 10, 2018

Selwa This whole album is hypnotic. Cholyan Dohlma, a Tibetan nun and Steve Tibbets. The clip I included makes me hallucinate.
posted by effluvia at 8:40 PM on December 10, 2018

Bill Laswell: Thunupa, Ethiopia
DJ Cheb I Sabbah: Tum Bin Shyam
Mystic Rhythms Band: Gesso's Guitar Song
Stefano Saletti & Piccola Banda Ikona: Tagama
Michalis Koumbios: Astradeni
Can: Last Night Sleep
Musafir: Badila
Amir Yaghmai & The Gaslamp Killer: Nissim
posted by heatvision at 3:39 AM on December 11, 2018

« Older Finding Furniture by Size   |   what is jimmy buffett talking about? Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments