ISO of an old website that was a link aggregator of sorts

I'm trying to remember a website that I would check out from time to time, years ago. I don't know if it still exists, but if it does I can't find it, because I cannot for the life of me recall the name or the url. More details inside.

It was like a table of contents of sorts to great websites. I vaguely recall it might have been library-related, but I am not sure about that. But basically, it contained links and probably short descriptions to many many sites, including the onilne version of newspapers around the world, many magazines, sites to get facts about lots of topics (weather, whatever), etc.

It was in a column format. I seem to remember that in the middle column at the top of the page, there would be things like "Fact of the Day" or "Astronomy Photo of the Day."

I realize this is all kind of vague, but . . . does this ring a bell with anyone? (If not, I will try to remember more, or do a better job of describing what I clearly visualize in my head!)
posted by merejane to Computers & Internet (8 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Possibly Science Daily or Arts & Letters Daily?
posted by brianogilvie at 8:45 AM on December 2 [3 favorites]

IPL.org? (Way back capture circa 2005)

Or Librarains Internet Index?

(On mobile, pls forgive sloppy links)
posted by slipthought at 8:51 AM on December 2

Could have been PopURLS or its successor Hvper.
posted by rollick at 9:11 AM on December 2 [1 favorite]

Was it refdesk?
posted by Gorgik at 9:20 AM on December 2 [2 favorites]

Something about the '___ of the day' mention reminded me of robotwisdom.com? Have to find it in the Internet Archive now...
posted by easement1 at 9:58 AM on December 2

Sounds a lot like refdesk or robotwisdom it might have also been GNU Site of the Day (which I think also had columns) or Scout Report or Ariadne's web? There was also Jenny's Cybrary (now The Shifted Librarian) and I'm not sure what else. I had a blog back then and may have linked to it, so if you want to poke around a little bit here's my 1999 blog pages.
posted by jessamyn at 10:08 AM on December 2

Yes, refdesk, that's it, thank you Gorgik and jessamyn!

And thanks to everyone for all the other great links -- I look forward to checking them out.

I knew MeFites would come through!
posted by merejane at 1:34 PM on December 2

rollclick, Popurls is dead so only go with Hvper.com.
posted by marbant at 10:26 PM on December 2

« Older Say Cheese   |   Membership style try before you buy wine shop? Newer »