Chinese or Korean TV shows for older kids!

Have you seen some that are fantasy/magical/beautiful but not gross?

My son (12) is into watching Korean and Chinese Drama's with me- he liked Secret Garden and Goblin (though he looks away for a few of the gross parts of that), he also watched some of a few Chinese dramas with me and we both loved "once upon a time" that's on hulu, which had fighting but was super not gross about it. I love the beautiful and magic oriented ones and my son likes magic and adventure but he does NOT like blood and gross stuff and a lot of death, he gets really upset. We both liked BBC Merlin so about that level of adventure (they don't show a lot of the violence up close in that but it's in there). We both prefer more happy and funny to dark and mysterious shows generally. I really like religious/mythical elements as well.

I'm trying to look through the shows and watch the beginnings of them to find out if they're good for these criteria, but in the process I thought I would go ahead and ask anyone else if they already know! Thank you!
posted by xarnop to Media & Arts (4 answers total)

I feel like I should add, while I wrote "drama" I would also like to know about more shows that AREN'T dramas- I am trying to improve my Chinese to speak with a little boy who only speaks Chinese at the school I work at, so it's a good cause. He has gone from crying all the time, to very happy when I am there! When I look of child friendly it's all preschool oriented, I'm sure I'm not doing a good job searching correctly for slightly older child friendly series.
posted by xarnop at 6:42 AM on December 2

To me, Hwayugi was very similar to Goblin, but better. It's also about ghosts so that part could get a little scary I guess. Other dramas in this genre are Master's Sun and My Love from the Star, but it was a while since I watched them so I can't remember how gory they were. Probably not so much.

I will also put Strong Woman Do Bong Soon out there. It has violence but not really gore. It is VERY funny and would definitely grab the attention of any 12-year old.

There is also a sub genre of Korean dramas that are music focused (e.g., You're Beautiful, Dream High) that are really "PG" if your son is into that sort of thing.
posted by yonglin at 8:33 AM on December 2 [1 favorite]

I also liked "Strong Woman Do Bong Soon." However, the violence was disturbing, in my opinion. A creepy masked man kidnaps women and keeps them in jail cells, calling them his "brides." It's like a cute, sweet comedy/drama was mixed in with a horrifying thriller.

"My Only Love Song" would be my top pick. It has a major time travel element, humor, romance, and is has some sword fighting, but isn't gory.

I'll second "You're Beautiful" for the major laughs and the hair styles -- but there's no supernatural element. Similarly, "Full House Take 2" and "K-Pop The Ultimate Audition" (or whatever the heck the translation is) are silly romantic comedies about the music scene.
posted by SandiBeech at 2:37 PM on December 2 [1 favorite]

I just checked because I wasn't sure, the sword fights in "My Only Love Song" do involve death. There is a scene in which fighters are shown with some blood on their clothes and faces after killing their opponents. One man has blood well out of his mouth after an injury. I don't know how a sensitive kid would feel about that. So I'll revise the recommendation. It's well within what I as an adult consider normal tv and movie violence, but ymmv.
posted by SandiBeech at 6:50 PM on December 4

« Older Christmas will break your heart   |   why are things the size that they are? Newer »