It's pronounced Croppy

I'm cooking crappie (fish) for dinner tonight. I want to do something different with it than I usually do. I'm out of brain cells. Do you have a crappie recipe that you really love? Please share.

What I usually do is dredge in milk, then seasoned flour (salt, pepper, oregano and/or thyme), then I dredge it in egg, and the final coat is panko crumbs, which are usually seasoned.

Then I either pan fry in butter/olive oil/bacon grease or bake depending on my mood/inclination. I usually serve this with lemon wedges.

I've googled this. Most of what I find is how to catch, how to clean, and a little bit of how to tell when it's done. It's possible my google bubble is hermetically sealed.

I'm serving this alongside magic potatoes (sliced thin on a mandoline, then layered on a baking sheet with olive oil and salt, three layers deep baked at 350 for 1/2 hour to an hour, some of the potato slices get brown and crispy, others get mushy), and a tasty squash soup that's got cumin, corriander, cayenne. I will probably pick up something green like brussels sprouts. Dessert is chocolatey if that matters, but I'm not in charge of it.
posted by bilabial to Food & Drink (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

We always use cornmeal/flour and deep-fry the crappie, but that's not substantially different from your recipe. I imagine it'd work fine in any recipe that calls for tilapia, for example
posted by chrisamiller at 6:00 AM on November 28, 2018 [1 favorite]

Try roasting it with butter, cumin (to pull in the pumpkin soup), chives and lemon slices on top. High heat until just done. It won't be crunchy but you'll be able to taste the fish really well, which I'm assuming is the goal. I do something like this for the above mentioned tilapia, and have also tried placing it on a bed of thinly sliced fennel. The fennel didn't quite get cooked to my liking - if you wanted to roast your fillets on a bed of some kind of veg, cook them first for a little while at a lower heat or in a pan before popping the fish on top. But the steam from the veg will help keep the fish from drying out. You can also of course put a little salt water or stock into the pan, if you happen to have some kombu for stock that imparts an incredible flavor and smell that goes great with all types of fish.
posted by Mizu at 6:36 AM on November 28, 2018 [1 favorite]

Crappie is a nice flat bodied fish.... gut it, scale it, cut some slits in the side, season with salt and pepper, dredge it in corn or potato starch and a bit of flour, and fry the bejeebus out of it until crispy. Not some saute style - it needs deep frying in enough oil so that the fins become crispy enough to eat as chips. You can now eat as is, or cover in a Chinese ginger sauce.... or a Middle eastern tahini and lemon sauce.

Or you can steam it.
posted by zaelic at 6:59 AM on November 28, 2018

Here's a panfish chowder recipe that is a definite change of pace from the usual.
posted by drlith at 7:01 AM on November 28, 2018

Ah, the fish were blue gills. I did the usual.

Thanks for the suggestions, when I can deep fry food I will try that.
posted by bilabial at 5:53 AM on November 29, 2018

« Older youtube meditation for pain and anxiety   |   Political subreddits Newer »