Hand and Arm Protection For Working in Meat Lockers
November 19, 2018 11:22 PM   Subscribe

I am working in a butcher shop and am looking for protective and warm covers/mittens for forearms and hands. First thought were cycling gloves. Fingers need to remain open. Any suggestion upper Midwestern MeFites?
posted by goalyeehah to Grab Bag (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Maybe arm warmers with thumb holes?
posted by TORunner at 4:37 AM on November 20, 2018

Leather finger-less gauntlets?

The best butcher's gloves are made of chainmail like the ones on this page. Unfortunately these both cover the fingers and don't go up the wrists. However, with a good pare of needle-nosed pliers it is quite possible to remove the fingers from a chainmail gauntlet. If you are prepared to customize a pair of these you could end up with unbeatable hand protection that could be worn over a cosy liner like an ordinary pair of dollar store fleece gloves.
posted by Jane the Brown at 10:06 AM on November 20, 2018

You might want to check out Freezer Work Wear and RefrigiWear, look at the professional products they offer.
posted by Lunaloon at 10:33 AM on November 20, 2018

Not sure how much protection and warmth you need, but you can certainly get fingerless cycling gloves, sometimes in leather although artificial fabrics are more common. I imagine any outdoorsy/cycling shop would have a decent selection.

You'll have trouble finding warm ones though since they're intended for summer use. You could maybe get a pair loose enough to add a tight-fitting pair of thin fingerless gloves underneath for warmth (cutting the glove-fingers off yourself if needed). Merino wool would probably be the best for that, for warmth without bulk even when wet.
posted by randomnity at 11:20 AM on November 20, 2018

(but of course that won't do the trick if you need more serious protection like the chainmail gloves linked above, so you definitely need to do your research to see what's safest for people in your profession)
posted by randomnity at 11:24 AM on November 20, 2018

Search google for Kevlar arm sleeves they are available from all industrial suppliers.

Here is a link to a pair from ULINE
posted by The Violet Cypher at 10:22 AM on November 21, 2018

« Older Uvula, I hardly knew ya.   |   I've found security holes in a cloud service. Now... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments