Two Furminators for two cat hair lengths?

I have two little shed-monsters, a medium-haired and a short-haired cat. Should I get two Furminators for the two hair lengths, or will one work for both? If one, which one? I can easily afford to get two if that's the best option. Thank you!
posted by sugarbomb to Pets & Animals (7 answers total)

Longer-haired Furminators have longer tines for reaching deeper into the coat.

The caveat with long tines on a short coat is that, since the tines can be a bit harsh if they graze the cat's skin, you'll have to be very careful about how you use it.

Using a short haired comb on a longer-haired cat means it won't work quite as quickly as you'll need to make more strokes, and will need to be cleared more often (as there's more hair and less tine length to hold it).

I suggest just getting the short hair comb first and trying it out on both cats. They're very effective and since you don't have a super long haired cat (like a Maine Coon), it will probably be just fine.
posted by seanmpuckett at 11:47 AM on November 15, 2018 [1 favorite]

I'm not a big fan of the furminators ("the tines can be a bit harsh if they graze the cat's skin, you'll have to be very careful about how you use it" may understate the case). I'd suggest trying an ordinary pocket comb - maybe a longer one, but of good quality, or a pet grooming comb and see what that will do for you.
posted by wotsac at 1:27 PM on November 15, 2018

Or get a Zoom Groom it works on both cats and is very very good. They also usually love it.
posted by Ferrari328 at 1:58 PM on November 15, 2018

For the longer-haired cat, you might try a shedding blade. We've never had a problem with it causing skin irritation, but my husband did once get distracted watching TV and blading one of the cats, who wound up with a bit of a thin spot in the fur over her shoulders as a result. (It grew back.)
posted by Lexica at 2:45 PM on November 15, 2018 [1 favorite]

I have the long-haired furminator, which I use on my short-haired cat (because he has SO MUCH fur and is also the size of a Maine Coon), but I have to be really careful with it. In the past we've used this type of brush, and I could just about press down as hard as I wanted without hurting him, but the furminator needs a really light touch, and he doesn't tolerate it as long. I would get the long-hair one, just be a little more careful on your short-haired cat.
posted by lollymccatburglar at 4:31 AM on November 16, 2018

The Furminator is a horrible device, drag it across your own skin to feel how terrible it feels: sharp and scratchy. Why make brushing time worse? A de-shedding tool is where it’s at where the tines roll under and glide smoothly, you can use that all day on your sweet kitty’s skin.
posted by KathyK at 12:31 PM on November 16, 2018

Yes, do drag the Furminator across your own skin once you get it.

It's important to have an idea of what kind of pressure is too much.

if you get the hang of it quickly -- starting with a very light touch -- your cat may come to love it. You want to reach deep into the fur but no more than graze the skin, and ideally don't touch it at all.

It's a useful, functional tool, but it does require a bit of skill to use properly;
posted by seanmpuckett at 6:06 PM on November 16, 2018 [1 favorite]

« Older Will a new furnace be quiter then a 30 year old...   |   Public radio pledge drive challenge fails Newer »