Eclair flavor combos - Thanksgiving edition
November 14, 2018 11:51 AM   Subscribe

Since the green gave me some fantastic flavor combinations in a similar previous question, I am now requesting suggestions on flavors for eclairs to serve at Thanksgiving.

My choux generally tends to be a basic plain choux - I've experimented with adding cocoa, switching some flour out with red velvet cake mix, and while those were just fine, I'd like to stick with plain choux on this occasion.

For the top of the eclair, I usually do a milk or white chocolate ganache, to which flavors can be added. I could also do a simple sugar glaze that would work as a vehicle for flavors. Piping buttercream on top seems trendy but I find it skews the pastry:cream ratio in a rather unappetizing way, so I'd like to avoid that.

For the filling, my favorites are either a creme patissiere or swiss meringue buttercream, both of which I find are excellent vehicles for fruit purees, flavor oils, essences, instant pudding mixes, etc.

What I'm looking for:

-Complementary flavors for the top glaze/ganache and the filling, preferably a single flavor for each and not a blend of flavors for either the filling or the topping.

-Pumpkin spice, you say? Original, that.

Right. Thanksgiving flavor combos. Go! Thank you!
posted by Everydayville to Food & Drink (17 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Ooh, cranberry! What a lovely colored glaze it would make! You might make something like cranberry curd, and then stir that into your filling or glaze. Or go with cranberry in the filling and a light orange flavor in the glaze.

Also--eclairs for Thanksgiving! What a wonderful idea!
posted by CiaoMela at 12:04 PM on November 14, 2018 [8 favorites]

Candied ginger in the filling with orange chocolate ganache topping.

Lemon and thyme flavours to echo the stuffing?
posted by DSime at 12:08 PM on November 14, 2018 [1 favorite]

Some others! I'm going to be thinking about this for a long time.

-Pecan pie: Molasses flavored glaze, crushed toasted pecans on top, maybe a whipped cream or just plain vanilla filling? or you could do the molasses in the filling and use a chocolate glaze on top for chocolate pecan pie
-Apple pie: cinnamon/spice infused filling, apple cider glaze on top (I'm imagining this as a true glaze, not using any chocolate)
posted by CiaoMela at 12:09 PM on November 14, 2018 [3 favorites]

Lemon curd and dark chocolate ganache. I just want to eat one of those right now myself.

Or ricotta filling and ganache with chopped pistachios - cannoli eclair!

I don't want to do these anymore, I want snacks.
posted by wellred at 12:23 PM on November 14, 2018 [3 favorites]

Sweet potato and marshmallow?
posted by jraz at 12:31 PM on November 14, 2018 [2 favorites]

Oooh, a maple filling with pecan-bourbon-maple topping.
posted by DSime at 12:32 PM on November 14, 2018 [4 favorites]

Inspired by my favorite seasonal candy recipe, how about a caramel/butterscotch filling with an apple cider glaze on top? Maybe with a little sea salt?
posted by CiaoMela at 12:42 PM on November 14, 2018 [3 favorites]

Sage or Rosemary + Sweet Potato
posted by Fig at 12:49 PM on November 14, 2018

Pumpkin and Bourbon
Champagne and Ginger
Roasted Marshmallow and Sweet Potato
Brown Butter and Chestnut
posted by pseudostrabismus at 12:54 PM on November 14, 2018 [1 favorite]

Green tea, like Beard Papa does!
posted by praemunire at 12:54 PM on November 14, 2018 [1 favorite]

Maple chipotle sweet potato!
posted by Weeping_angel at 12:55 PM on November 14, 2018 [2 favorites]

I LOVE these suggestions. I don't love the near-irresistible urge to ditch work and run home to bake.
posted by Everydayville at 1:47 PM on November 14, 2018

Chocolate-chestnut cream with chocolate icing

I feel like maple-persimmon could be good, but I could also be very wrong about that

I love the pecan pie and sweet potato/marshmallow suggestions!
posted by snaw at 4:46 AM on November 15, 2018 [1 favorite]

Inspired by the Great Canadian Baking Show: maple glaze, coffee cream filling.

Other ideas: juniper and chocolate, achiote and lemon, sumac and molasses, sweet smoked paprika and caramel, peanut butter and praline, intense blackberry or blueberry (like the last jammy dried summer berries) with a mild ginger glaze.
posted by VelveteenBabbitt at 9:36 AM on November 15, 2018

Thank you for all these amazing suggestions! Armed with ideas, I'll brainstorm tonight and post an update after Thanksgiving :)
posted by Everydayville at 1:24 PM on November 15, 2018 [1 favorite]

Can't wait to find out how this went!
posted by CiaoMela at 8:49 AM on November 26, 2018 [1 favorite]

Well, as promised, here's the update!

I made three different kinds:

- vanilla custard with cranberry curd swirled through, topped with a mild orange glaze (thank you CiaoMela!)

- maple swiss meringue buttercream with a salted caramel drizzle on top; I sprinkled bits of bacon on the top as well

- chestnut cream with a chocolate ganache; a candied ginger disc as decoration

The favorite was the maple/bacon eclair, unsurprisingly. Since I really wanted peanut butter flavor somewhere, I also made a peanut butter ice cream with praline mixed in that everyone loved - so I'll be using these flavor combinations for other desserts as well.

Thanks again for the suggestions - I hope everyone had a restful long weekend!
posted by Everydayville at 9:16 AM on November 26, 2018 [3 favorites]

« Older Does Contoura Lasik remove more corneal tissue...   |   Examples of a phone call response time policy Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments