GDPR-free (no ads, no cookies) web host?

I want to pay and get a simple web host that doesn't run ads so doesn't need to track visitors.

I currently pay for custom domain mapping at Wordpress for $13/year. I could pay for the Personal plan which includes that for $28/year and get rid of ads, but there would still be the GDPR warning & more features than I need. I'd like something that hosts just text with minimal formatting and maybe a few photos and illustrations. If it works with a static web log generator, that would be a bonus.

If a web host logs IPs and basic info (referrer) does it still need a GDPR warning/assent?
posted by ASCII Costanza head to Computers & Internet (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

The standard recommendation for people who want a no-frills web host is nearlyfreespeech.net I've been happily using them for many years. It's bare bones and cheap which sounds like exactly what you need.
posted by chrisamiller at 7:29 PM on November 13, 2018 [3 favorites]

Piling in to echo "nearlyfreespeech.net" .. just what you need!
posted by anadem at 9:12 PM on November 13, 2018

I used this deal for hosting a few basic web sites. I tossed Wordpress on there, but you could do whatever you want with cPanel:

https://stacksocial.com/sales/ssdpage-anti-hacker-hosting-lifetime-premium-subscription

It's not very premium, but it does appear to be lifetime (and ad-free), for a one-off cost of US$29.99.
posted by krisjohn at 10:10 PM on November 13, 2018

If you can confirm confidently that cookies are not in use and there is no similar tracking technology you may not need a cookie notice for users.

Generally the advice is conduct a cookie audit, which is way less fun than it sounds, and develop a notice based on that. By assent I presume you mean consent, which you would also need to consider in the event you are setting cookies.

(I didn’t say this but cookie consent under PECR/GDPR seems a massive farce to me. Huge numbers of sites make people click through tick boxes and what not and yet still don’t offer data subjects control because they still have cookies you can’t opt out of anyway - it’s a joke.)

Hopefully your cookie audit comes up nil so you can avoid needing the notice. Or consent.

(If you can’t seem to escape using cookies let me know, I can help with whether you need consent which is a whole other post)

Good for you for deciding to mitigate by not setting cookies btw
posted by BAKERSFIELD! at 11:53 PM on November 13, 2018

NearlyFreeSpeech certainly qualifies, if you are okay with their quasi-micropayment billing scheme. By modern standards they are not exceptionally cheap if you anticipate a decent amount of traffic, though.

SDF.org, which is a non-profit, also hosts websites although that is not its primary mission (it's really an CS educational org which lets people run websites in pursuit of that). Very old-school; you can even run Gopher. If you have fond memories of hosting a website from your corporate/university VAX or similar shared machine back in the day, and are just hosting a personal blog, you might like it, though. They have lifetime subscriptions, although to not be a jerk you would want to probably plan on tossing them $25/year or so, IMO.

There's also AWS' free tier, although of course with anything free, you are at the mercy of the underlying business model providing you the thing for free. (Amazon says they'll keep those things "free forever" but really, who knows.) If you choose one of the US-based datacenters and don't intentionally code GPDR stuff into your page, it won't show any. However, developing a site to run on S3/Lambda is not the same as developing a site to run on a traditional shared webhost like NearlyFreeSpeech, and certainly nothing like an oldschool host account like SDF.
posted by Kadin2048 at 1:08 PM on November 14, 2018

« Older How to Survey Some Customers?   |   What to do about this friendship? Newer »