Potty training: alternatives to "Oh Crap"?

The only book on potty training I'm familiar with is Jamie Glowacki's "Oh Crap! Potty Training". Are there other books/resources I should read?

First time parent here. Our kiddo is:
* 2 years 4 months old
* In daycare
* A boy
* Wears cotton diapers
* Sometimes announces that he's pooped and shows some verbal interest in the potty and in people using the potty, but doesn't really talk about peeing or being wet or show other marked signs of potty-readiness

I'm currently reading Glowacki's "Oh Crap!" book. Since she very strongly espouses one particular approach to potty training, I want to find out if there are other approaches I should be aware of.

I'm particularly looking for books or resources on potty-training that are solid and well-grounded in research or experience and well-regarded by many people. Any suggestions or pointers?
posted by splitpeasoup to Health & Fitness (6 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

I don’t have any book recommendations other than “basically anything else.” I found Oh Crap to be too high-pressure and too strict with its timeline, and even though our kid was showing signs of readiness around 24 months he wasn’t really ready. We abandoned the approach pretty quickly.

I basically went on anecdotes from other parents, and the general consensus was that training is much quicker and easier with older toddlers (at the end of what Glowacki considers acceptable) unless they’re interested earlier. We tried again right after our kid’s third birthday and it was a much easier time.
posted by Metroid Baby at 4:14 AM on November 13, 2018 [1 favorite]

We did part-time Elimination Communication for my kiddo. Here's the Tiny Potty Training Book for toddlers that corresponds. In her shop, she also has board books to read with kids, too, about going potty.
posted by jillithd at 6:09 AM on November 13, 2018 [1 favorite]

This website seems to have a decent overview of various methods and outcomes (to the extent that they have been studied). The Brazelton approach is generally considered a more "gentle" (albeit much slower) approach.

Personally, the Oh Crap method worked great for my son around 26 months. I like that it doesn't rely on food rewards and that it encourages the parents to present it with confidence and positivity, without shaming or pressuring the kid. (On the other hand, unfortunately the author is pretty judgmental and shame-y towards parents who wait "too long" to train or don't follow her methods.)

Among my friends who didn't use Oh Crap, some struggled over many months and some just chilled out about it and waited. In both cases, the kids have tended to train closer to 3 or 4, often using a rewards-based method.
posted by messica at 6:11 AM on November 13, 2018 [1 favorite]

Diaper Free Before 3 was recommended by our preschool.
posted by bq at 7:06 AM on November 13, 2018

Seconding "Diaper Free Before 3." For what it's worth, I actively trained my first, and just relaxed with my 2nd and 3rd. The younger kids trained themselves without fuss at around 2.5-3.
posted by snickerdoodle at 10:27 AM on November 13, 2018 [1 favorite]

If you are uptight about potty training, your kiddo could be picking up on that, and it will either make it easier, or possibly much harder. If you go with a more relaxed approach, we found that letting a 2yo watch "Pocket Snails: Potty Adventure" and "Elmo's Potty Time" were both helpful parts of the play-it-by-ear relaxed strategy we used.
posted by jgreco at 12:32 PM on November 13, 2018

« Older Women: Should I keep watching BoJack Horseman?   |   Best cheap earbud+microphone for iPhone? Newer »