Madame Ovary, c'est moi

I have what's probably an ovarian cyst and it's pretty darn unpleasant. I'll be scheduling follow-ups with my OB-GYN, but in the meantime, I'd appreciate help puzzling out my latest symptoms.

I am a 32yo woman who's been experiencing abdominal pain, bloating, and most recently nausea. Last week I got an ultrasound and learned I have what's likely a hemorrhagic cyst (although dermoid cyst and endometrioma are also possibilities mentioned on the radiologist's report). I've had a hormonal IUD for about a year, which can cause cysts.

However, I'm puzzled by some new symptoms. Two days after my ultrasound, I got a light period for the first time since my IUD was inserted a year ago. (I checked, and my IUD is still in place.)

Around the same time I got my period, I started experiencing extreme fatigue - more sleepiness than anything. I'm a low-energy person and have been coming down with colds a lot this fall, but this feels different.

I'm going to follow-up with a doctor, but in the meantime, I'm trying to wrap my head around what's going on in terms of my hormones / monthly cycle. Have any of you had similar symptoms from a cyst, especially while an IUD is in place?

posted by toastedcheese to Health & Fitness (4 answers total)

Have the doctor check your iron level. I’ve recently had a oopherectemy and hysterectomy after two decades of hemorrhagic ovarian cysts and, you didn’t say how large the cyst was, but by definition, if you have a hemorrhagic cyst, you’re bleeding internally.

I did have an IUD in place when I had my hysterectomy, put there to prevent those types of cysts. It didn’t work for me. Generally, IUDs tend to cause a different type of cyst, simple follicular cysts, I believe.
posted by Ruki at 8:35 AM on November 11, 2018 [1 favorite]

I have the implant ( iirc my provider said it's the same hormone) and am prone to cysts in general. I've had similar experiences, although I've also had cysts without those symptoms.

Possibly relevant: I've also experienced extreme fatigue and a seemingly endless period (with the implant) when my vitamin D levels are low. If you've been getting less sun/changed diet, may be worth having that checked out just in case?
posted by ghost phoneme at 9:12 AM on November 11, 2018

No IUD in place but I do have a hemorrhagic cyst that is being monitored. My doctor ordered my blood levels to be checked and it turns out my ferritin levels are low. Have you had yours checked? That could be one culprit.

If you do end up needing to take iron, I recommend ProFerrin. It's not vegetarian and it is expensive, but if those aspects don't rule it out for you, it's good because it's more easily absorbed and gentler on the stomach.
posted by hurdy gurdy girl at 12:12 PM on November 11, 2018

Response by poster: Thanks for the helpful thoughts. In fact, my vitamin D came back slightly low a few weeks ago, but it didn't occur to me to connect it to these latest symptoms.

I'm feeling a bit better today, but if the fatigue doesn't resolve, I'll have my iron checked again.
posted by toastedcheese at 2:26 PM on November 12, 2018

« Older How Well Do You Know Cucurbitaceae?   |   How do I handle noise disturbance from elderly... Newer »