Where to get a valid Windows 7 Home Premium product key?

I bought a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium from ebay and installed it on 4/8/2018, which has worked fine until a few weeks back (a month?), I'm now getting an invalid product key warning, with 2 days left to activate.

Calling the activation phone number confirms they will not (re)activate it with this now-invalid product key, so I guess I was scammed. When I follow the onscreen instructions, it takes me to Microsoft's site for upgrading to windows 10. I seriously doubt this old laptop can even run windows 10, but I also don't want to switch to windows 10. I found where I can type in a new product key, but where can I get a valid replacement product key, preferably for as cheap a possible? Thanks!
posted by Pig Tail Orchestra to Computers & Internet (8 answers total)

You can keep rearming the activation indefinitely- not as convenient as a real activated version of Windows, but it will keep you going.
posted by BungaDunga at 7:12 AM on November 7

The key was probably valid but part of a volume license that leaked, or something like that. Microsoft will invalidate these when it becomes obvious.

It's also worth noting that Microsoft is no longer supporting Win7 and will cease providing security updates in little more than a year. Any money you put towards this will be wasted come January 2020.

Windows 10 is not wonderful or magic, and lots of people have discussed its pitfalls, but the flip side is that Windows 10 has also managed to get some things right, some of them for the first time ever.

If you put sufficient effort into it (this is the galling part), you can actually make a clean, straightfoward, usable, game-free, Cortana-free, spyware-free, idiotic-background-picture-free version of Windows. It takes a bunch of effort. This is ridiculous, and anyone who is annoyed by this will get no argument from me. Other people complain about the forced updates policy, but this is probably something that Microsoft got right, as too many problems grew out of end users who didn't know how to patch, or actively refused. But lots of other stuff, Win10 nails in ways that both Win7 and Win8 fell short on.

Rather than buying a new Win7 product key, you might be best off doing as BungaDunga suggests, and then when Win7 is no longer supported, put the money towards a Win10 license instead.
posted by jgreco at 11:54 AM on November 7 [1 favorite]

If you're up for it, this sounds like exactly the thing Linux Mint is made for.
posted by Too-Ticky at 12:42 PM on November 7 [1 favorite]

Just letting you know, if you can run win 7, you can run win 10 no problems. It's actually less resource intensive.
posted by smoke at 1:43 PM on November 7

I, and more than a few others, have run Windows 10 decently on an Atom tablet with 2 gb of RAM. Win10, for all its flaws, runs pretty well on minimal hardware.
posted by lhauser at 9:02 PM on November 7 [1 favorite]

It's also worth noting that Microsoft is no longer supporting Win7 and will cease providing security updates in little more than a year. Any money you put towards this will be wasted come January 2020
This is very important. Past Jan 2020, if you want an old laptop to be secure, your only option is linux. I dropped Ubuntu Mate onto an old Toshiba netbook that started its life with Windows 7 Starter Edition. The second big update to Windows 10 totally ruined it, even though I'd doubled the RAM. I pulled the old hard drive, whacked in an SSD, switched to linux, and never looked back.
This is wrong. While Windows 10 may not be more demanding on a PC, you may have significant driver issues.
posted by krisjohn at 10:55 PM on November 7

I'd still prefer a valid license, but for now BungaDunga's idea will get me some more time.
posted by Pig Tail Orchestra at 6:54 AM on November 9

(I did the rearm thing for several years after accidentally installing the wrong version of Windows for my license key and being too lazy to wipe it out and start again, it worked fine)
posted by BungaDunga at 7:58 AM on November 9

« Older A Cleaner Empire In Just Two Weeks....   |   RF Micro-switch Newer »