Dippable appetizer

My sister has a themed appetizer competition every Thanksgiving. This year's theme is dippable. We need at least 2 but probably 3 dishes. One of which can be made by a 10 year old. Evaluation is on taste and presentation.
posted by k8t to Food & Drink (33 answers total) 30 users marked this as a favorite

This sweet and spicy dip is always a crowd-pleaser:

Everlasting Dip

1/2 cup orange marmalade
2T sugar
1T brown sugar
3T vinegar
1/4t curry powder
1/4t ground ginger
1/2t salt
1-1/2t Worcestershire sauce
1/3c sour cream

Combine all ingredients except sour cream in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer until relatively smooth and well-blended. Cool, then add sour cream. It thickens as it stands in the refrigerator.

It's generally served with crudites (celery is particularly popular due to its scoop-like nature), but you could also spread/pour it over a block of cream cheese and serve it with crackers (pita or water crackers would be especially good).
posted by DrGail at 7:56 AM on November 3, 2018 [1 favorite]

Oh ya. French onion dip is super easy and tasty: one pouch onion soup mix and 16oz container of sour cream.

You can always do the harry and david pepper relish dip. It's stupid good.
posted by chasles at 8:08 AM on November 3, 2018 [1 favorite]

Yotam Ottolenghi's Za'atar-Spiced Beet Dip with Goat Cheese and Hazelnuts looks like a million bucks and takes very little effort. YMMV depending on how your judging panel feels about beets, though!
posted by bcwinters at 8:36 AM on November 3, 2018 [5 favorites]

Tzatziki cucumber-herb-yogurt sauce is really easy and quick to make... you can basically just mix the ingredients together in the container you're going to store it in a day or so ahead of time so that the flavor of the herbs permeates everything.

If you've got a Middle Eastern ethnic market anywhere near you pick up some top notch olive oil and “labneh” strained yoghurt, which in its finest form has a flavor halfway between butter and yoghurt. Also a good place to get some fresh-baked pita or pita-adjacent bread for the dipping.
posted by XMLicious at 8:44 AM on November 3, 2018 [1 favorite]

Does fondue count? Shred cheese, mix a couple tablespoons of flour, powdered onion, garlic, a sprinkle of chipotle. Onsite, you will need an electric fondue pot for best results, but heat a couple tablespoons oil, the flour mix, to make a roux, then mix in cheese and milk or stock for a fondue. This one works best with cheddar, but there are tons of variations.
posted by kellyblah at 8:53 AM on November 3, 2018

S'mores dip
posted by ananci at 9:02 AM on November 3, 2018

Muhammara
Pomegranate molasses can be made by reducing pomegranate juice, sugar and lemon.
posted by oflinkey at 9:05 AM on November 3, 2018 [5 favorites]

This "feta dip" (kind-of more like a deconstructed greekish bruschetta) you eat with bread rounds and it is STUPID DELICIOUS.

Where I last lived, margarita dip (which I had never had before), was weirdly popular -- basically cream cheese, cool whip, and margarita mix, and you serve it with fruit dippers. I'm not much for fruit dips but I bet a fruit dip will be a little different, plus you could serve it in a margarita glass and fruit makes a pretty presentation.

What are your cooking facilities on-site? I have a SPECTACULAR fondue appetizer with a dynamite presentation, but you'd have to be able to a) make the fondue fresh (on the stove, not in a pot -- there's boiling) and b) make puff pastry, because you serve the fondue in the freshly-made pastry, with dippers (and then eat the cheesy pastry at the end, yum). It's easy, but you would have to be able to cook it on-site.
posted by Eyebrows McGee at 9:08 AM on November 3, 2018 [1 favorite]

My family makes dip with cream cheese, shredded chipped beef, and horseradish, with the juice. It is extremely tasty.
posted by theora55 at 9:11 AM on November 3, 2018

Make some teriyaki-ish sauce. Roughly:

2 parts soy sauce
2 parts mirin (a sweet rice wine thing)
1 part sugar

Bring to light boil and let simmer down by 1/3 until it's a bit thick. (you can do corn/potato starch in a bit of water to make it thicken more if that's your thing)

Heat up some meatballs and have some toothpicks, or chicken bits on a skewer. Dip and eat.
posted by zengargoyle at 9:23 AM on November 3, 2018

Dibbable, rather than actual dip: I love to make Reuben egg rolls with Thousand Island to dip in.
posted by OrangeVelour at 9:26 AM on November 3, 2018 [4 favorites]

wow just dropping in to say that this is an awesome idea and please ask this question for next year's theme too.

here are some of my favorite dips
Individual seven-layer dip (i usually serve each one with a wooden chopstick and encourage ppl to stir it up. the individual cups make for a nice presentation and one big dish is a mess once you get halfway through it)

Velveeta Spicy Sausage Dip (we actually usually do it on the crockpot and then scoop it onto cocktail rye toasts for serving, so it's like pre-dipped dip?)
posted by wowenthusiast at 10:16 AM on November 3, 2018

Search “game day” or “tailgate” dip recipes, like a warm layered bean & cheese dip? I’m thinking of chunky creamy meal-type dips will wow everyone.
posted by jbenben at 10:19 AM on November 3, 2018

Artichoke. Pretty, delicious, eminently dippable.

Steam and serve with lemon butter. Or butter and siracha. Or make some kind of aioli thing.
posted by kleinsteradikaleminderheit at 10:53 AM on November 3, 2018 [1 favorite]

Mini grilled cheeses with tomato soup?
posted by Weeping_angel at 11:26 AM on November 3, 2018 [1 favorite]

The ten year old could do a turkey cheese ball or peanut butter cheese ball.
posted by fluffy battle kitten at 11:28 AM on November 3, 2018 [2 favorites]

Ina Garten is a queen here. I adore her Smoked Salmon Dip and Pan-Fried Onion Dip.
posted by mostlymartha at 11:45 AM on November 3, 2018 [1 favorite]

Another take on the onion dip, Alton Brown's.
posted by mmascolino at 12:03 PM on November 3, 2018

This Smoky Sweet Potato Hummus is my go-to appetizer/snack to bring to parties. I bring crudites and/or those thin pretzel chips to go along with it.
posted by shesbookish at 12:21 PM on November 3, 2018

Other contenders are probably gonna bring fancy dips or ones that work with Thanksgiving food, so I would actually do the opposite. Differentiate thyself!

I’d bring Pizza Dip, hell yeah!

(To note: I would cook this in the oven, or at least hit it with the broiler to crisp the toppings.)
posted by functionequalsform at 12:53 PM on November 3, 2018

I love this pea pesto on crostini or as a dip with crudités. Add a half bunch of mint leaves if you want to fancy it up a bit. It’s super fast and easy if you grate the cheese in the food processor and then add everything else; the 10 year old could probably make the pesto with a bit of supervision.
posted by asphericalcow at 12:54 PM on November 3, 2018 [1 favorite]

There’s a cheese dip that looks like a melting snowman, if you want bonus presentation points and you live in an area where snow and thanksgiving go together. This is more « craft project » than anything else but I bet the 10 year old would love to make it. here’s a link
posted by andreapandrea at 1:23 PM on November 3, 2018 [1 favorite]

My mom has made a cream cheese pinecone every Xmas I can remember. It occurs to me this is now retro. She may have had a phase where she added canned crushed pineapple. Who cares. It looks amazing and tastes wonderful. (It occurs to me you could do the pinecone almonds on a more modern/adventurous dip. I won’t tell my mom.)
posted by kapers at 1:47 PM on November 3, 2018 [3 favorites]

Pumpkin Fluff would be seasonal and great for a 10 y/o. To score presentation points, serve it in a pumpkin as pictured!
posted by kittydelsol at 1:59 PM on November 3, 2018

In keeping with the Thanskgiving theme, Pumpkin Hummus!
posted by Champagne Supernova at 3:21 PM on November 3, 2018

I just made Butternut Squash Goat Cheese Dip for family and it was a huge hit. The hardest part was prepping the butternut squash (you could buy precut cubes from the store). I used less goat cheese, mixed dried herbs into the dip instead of using fresh, and served it room-temp - you could use the fresh herbs and serve it warm. If you pre-roast the squash, the dip comes together in 5 minutes.
posted by Red Desk at 4:28 PM on November 3, 2018

Tuna mousse:
1 can of tuna, 1/2 stick of butter, the equivalent volume of mayo (less if the tuna is in oil). 2-3 cherry tomatoes, the whites of 3 spring onions, a little salt, white pepper and perhaps cayenne. Blend it all thoroughly. Start dipping!
posted by mumimor at 4:40 PM on November 3, 2018

Last year's theme was that it could only be as wide as a quarter (but could be tall).
posted by k8t at 4:46 PM on November 3, 2018 [2 favorites]

Spread the bottom of a shallow dish with soft cream cheese (a nice thickish layer). Pour a layer of salsa over it, top with shredded cheese (the Mexican-style stuff in a bag is good). Sprinkle with sliced olives if you like them. Serve with tortilla chips.
posted by Enid Lareg at 6:09 PM on November 3, 2018

Perfect kid appropriate recipe: one jar marshmallow fluff, mixed with cream cheese. I start with half a block and add more if needed. Delicious with fruit, especially strawberries.
posted by purenitrous at 9:27 PM on November 3, 2018

Everyone else has the world of dips pretty well covered (I'm voting for the pinecone! Retro goodness!), so I'll suggest things that are, well, dippable. As in, you can dip them into things. What if you guys made crispy breadsticks in different shapes and flavors? If you look up recipes for Italian grissini you'll find endless variations.
posted by JuliaIglesias at 11:37 AM on November 4, 2018

Chicken (or pork) satay with peanut-curry dipping sauce?

This recipe for the peanut sauce is the best I've had. It comes from Joyce Jue's "Far East Cafe" cookbook, part of Sunset Books' "Casual Cuisines of the World" series.

Satay Sauce
1 oz tamarind pulp, coarsely chopped
1/2 c. boiling water

1 Tablespoon peanut or corn oil
2 Tablespoons red curry paste
1 Tablespoon sweet paprika
1 c. coconut milk
6 Tablespoons chunky peanut butter -OR- 1/3 c. ground dry-roasted peanuts
2 Tablespoons palm sugar or brown sugar
1 Tablespoon (Thai-style or similar) fish sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
In a small bowl, soak the chopped tamarind pulp in the boiling water. Let it soak for 10-15 minutes, mashing the pulp to dissolve as much as possible. Pour through a fine mesh sieve into another small bowl, pressing to extract as much tamarind liquid as posslble. Set the liquid aside for later, throw away the remaining pulp.

Over medium heat, warm a wok or small saucepan. When it is hot, put in the oil, curry paste, and paprika. Reduce the heat to low and stir for about a minute. Add the coconut milk and continue to stir over low heat, waiting for the red oil from the curry paste to peek out (a couple of minute.) Add the peanut butter (or ground peanuts) and brown sugar (or palm sugar) and simmer, stirring frequently. After 5 minutes have elapsed, add the reserved tamarind liquid from the first step and the fish sauce and salt, cook for another 1-2 minutes.

--

If desired I can also post the recipe for the satay marinade but the peanut sauce is quite flexible and could go with many appetizer choices.
posted by Nerd of the North at 2:49 PM on November 4, 2018 [1 favorite]

On the off chance that you come back to this thread, I'm really interested to hear what you ended up making and how the competition went, k8t!
posted by bcwinters at 1:40 PM on November 26, 2018 [2 favorites]

« Older Setting aside a County Court Judgement, England   |   Friend feeling trapped by husband's traumatic... Newer »