"The Favourite" dance move

What is this squatting dance move that appears in the upcoming film The Favourite?

I caught a screening last night and this Joe Alwyn dance move absolutely killed me, but I can't place it. Ignore the period costumes, the dance sequence is anachronistic.

It comes from this moment in the trailer, although the gif shows pretty much the whole thing.
posted by acidic to Media & Arts (5 answers total)

Looks like waacking to me.
posted by loriginedumonde at 9:00 PM on November 1, 2018

It looks like a variation on a Russian kick.
posted by neushoorn at 9:41 PM on November 1, 2018

It's the backdrop from Northern Soul. In this tutorial this guy warms up to it, he starts on the backdrop proper from 2.51. With some dancers they do it as a squat then lean back, as the dancer in your clip does. Also The Favorite guy is moving down an aisle so he kind of skids into it.

Northern Soul
posted by glasseyes at 1:27 AM on November 2, 2018 [3 favorites]

It's not just the going down, it's the coming up after. It's supposed to look effortless.
posted by glasseyes at 1:29 AM on November 2, 2018

I think glasseyes has it! I'd be curious to learn more about it but this is enough to tide me over until the film comes out when I think a lot of people will be writing about it. Thanks, everyone!
posted by acidic at 4:06 PM on November 3, 2018

« Older How can I winterize my bathroom vanity?   |   How can I close phantom credit card accounts on my... Newer »