Okay, laptop, do your stuff!
October 29, 2018 7:46 AM   Subscribe

What are some fun open source/linux/art projects to try out on my new (to me) ThinkPad laptop, currently running Fedora? This laptop is exclusively for "take chances, make mistakes, and get messy!" purposes.

I'm pretty open ended here, but some of the things I've been trying to learn more about:
* Becoming more fluent in the terminal (I find this video, for instance, extremely exciting!)
* Experimenting with different types of digital/generative/video art (although I wouldn't have the specs to do much 3d/very high res stuff on my X230, some lo-fi experiments with Processing or something would be fun, in line with this previous Ask. Also interested in generative music/noise, a la SuperCollider.
* Maybe setting up a development server? Idea server? Multimedia journaling/personal map making?
* Possible quite unrelated, but I'm trying to learn more about pinball mechanics...

Those are just what I've been kicking around lately. But I'd love to identify some well-scoped learning projects - the kind of thing I could knock out over two or three weekends. Thank you!
posted by elephantsvanish to Technology (5 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite

Mandelbrot fractal generator?
posted by sammyo at 9:16 AM on October 29, 2018 [1 favorite]

Other than the obvious? :)
posted by genpfault at 10:29 AM on October 29, 2018

Music!

Reaper5 runs on linux now - one of the best, most flexible DAWs on the market and it's effectively free until you decide to pay for it.
posted by aspersioncast at 12:10 PM on October 29, 2018

learn how to use graphicsmagick/imagemagick to do some image processing types of stuff from the CLI. Same with ffmpeg for slicing and dicing audio/video. Learn some postcript and start generating images that are basically just programs. Maybe blender? Create some 3d shapes and use some code to make them morph and dance and change based on your supercollider creations.
posted by zengargoyle at 12:22 PM on October 29, 2018

Generate art with Tensorflow.
Mess around with ray tracing (old school or new).
Make cartoons the way Studio Ghibli does it!
posted by Poldo at 7:33 AM on October 30, 2018

« Older Is this a bad financial decision?   |   What's the etymology of this phrase? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.