Duck Hunt for Xbox 1?

I work with a young man who loves the FPS games in arcades, but does not have the ability to move both a player and aim a gun at the same time. Is there a game for the Xbox 1 where the player is only responsible for shooting at targets? Bonus points if it has a gun like peripheral.

I posted this question in r/disabledgamer with no luck, but feel free to suggest other communities I could investigate. If nothing comes up here I’ll probably email the general inquiry at Craig Hospital.
posted by rip to Technology (9 answers total)

House of the dead series?

In general, when you want to just shoot stuff and not worry about where your character stands or moves, a key term is Rail Shooter, because the character moves as though on rails through scripted events. A vast genre that may be great for your use, though a bit out of favor perhaps among the cool kids of 2018. Many or most of them should be compatible with a light gun or similar shooty peripheral.
posted by SaltySalticid at 8:12 PM on October 10 [3 favorites]

For the record it may help to clarify whether you mean the newest X Box ONE, as compared to the original X Box, which is also reasonably called number 1, as in the first... And damn them for their seemingly intentionally perverse naming conventions, sorry!
posted by SaltySalticid at 8:16 PM on October 10 [1 favorite]

I couldn't find anything good for Xbox One, but if that's not a requirement, The House of the Dead: Overkill and Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles, both for the Wii and PlayStation 3, were well-received.
posted by J.K. Seazer at 8:55 PM on October 10

I can clarify this... the consoles are Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One. The first console is NOT called the Xbox One ever. That is the 3rd console. Clear as mud, right.

The Xbox One does not have any gun peripherals, but do you have a Kinect?
posted by OnTheLastCastle at 7:00 AM on October 11

I don’t have any specific recommendations other than looking for “on-rails shooters” when searching for the type of game your looking for.

I did, however, want to jump in and say that Microsoft has lately made a huge push for accessibility, including launching their Adaptive Controller that is designed to adapt to less-than-typical mobility. It may be worth looking into.
posted by sixfootaxolotl at 9:49 AM on October 11

For the record I’ve heard several people who don’t follow game consoles closely refer to the original Xbox as Xbox 1 or similar. I know the difference, but many people don’t, and in this case the distinction is very important, as there are tons of cool rail shooters for Xbox, but very few (and no light gun) for the One.

Anyway, OP, Crimson Dragon may be suitable on Xbox One. It can be played without Kinect or a gun, but the control still may prove too difficult. On the plus side it should be easy enough to pick up a cheap used copy.
posted by SaltySalticid at 11:59 AM on October 11 [1 favorite]

As has been stated, there is no light-gun style peripheral for the Xbox One. Home light-gun games in general are kind of a dead genre.

However, you can pick up a used Wii for about the same price as a new Xbox One game, and there are a lot of rail shooter games for the Wii that use the Wiimote as a light gun (there are even peripherals that will make it more gun-shaped), some of the best in the genre really, which can generally be found quite cheaply online or in used game stores. If these sorts of games are up his alley, I would recommend seeking one of those out.
posted by subocoyne at 5:11 PM on October 11 [1 favorite]

Sorry for the confusion, it is indeed an Xbox One (the one that came out recently).

Thanks for the thoughts and information, the term rail shooter is indeed helpful, though sadly the options seem limited/almost nonexistent.
posted by rip at 8:55 PM on October 11

Light-gun games died out with the decline of CRT screens, since the way they detected where the gun was pointed was essentially a CRT hack. If there's a way of doing something similar with LED/LCD or equivalent screens, it hasn't caught on.
posted by Hogshead at 5:32 AM on October 12

« Older Safe to wash new queen comforter in a stackable GE...   |   Queen's Birthday: George III edition Newer »