Have Pistachios, Will Cake

I made chocolate cake (aka sponge, not yet frosted or anything). I have a bunch of roasted, shelled pistachios. How shall I incorporate the pistachios into the cake?

Should I make a pistachio frosting? Or a pistachio mousse, to put on top of the sponge and then frost with something else? Can you suggest something delectable for me to try?

I've been watching a lot of Great British Bake-Off, and I'm willing to go all fancy with this!
posted by meese to Food & Drink (9 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Maybe crush some pistachios and sprinkle them on the top of the pistachio frosting in wavy stripes?
posted by iamkimiam at 2:57 PM on October 10

Chop medium-to-fine and cover the frosted surface. Throw a coarser layer in the frosting between the layers of cake, if you have a multilayer.

Instead of top, you could also press them up on the sides. If you don't have enough to cover the whole of the sides, you can do stripes (make a cardboard mask, put into position, and press pistachios into frosting) or some other design.

Since they'll add a greenish tinge, you can add something else that has a complementary color; either another green (tea powder?) something else. Maybe a yin-yang with something that contrasts highly with the pistachios, and also lets people choose to, ahem, go nuts, or not.
posted by Sunburnt at 3:01 PM on October 10

I would try a cannoli filling between the layers and frost with an Italian buttercream that includes a generous amount of ground pistachios.
posted by she's not there at 3:08 PM on October 10 [2 favorites]

Maybe candy some pistachios for the top!
posted by little mouth at 3:39 PM on October 10

When you said "chocolate cake" and "pistachios," my instant thought was Texas Sheet Cake. Make a chocolate frosting and frost your cake, then chop the pistachios and sprinkle them on top.
posted by Pandora Kouti at 3:49 PM on October 10

pistachio buttercream
posted by vunder at 4:09 PM on October 10

I’ve made butter creams flavored with rose water or strawberry or raspberry, and added chopped pistachios to them. Could be good between the cake layers.

You could candy some of them like on GBB! like this!
posted by inevitability at 4:11 PM on October 10

Maybe a yin-yang with something that contrasts highly with the pistachios, and also lets people choose to, ahem, go nuts, or not.

Yes, for example, pistachio pairs well with rose.
posted by vunder at 4:14 PM on October 10

You could add a layer of Pistachio Marzipan between layers. Looks beautiful and tastes delectable!
posted by primate moon at 4:50 PM on October 10

« Older Alternative to IKEA ALVE laptop table   |   How can you legally own wine before you know how... Newer »