cleanse me!

ISO a facial cleanser that doesn't irritate my eyes. does this exist?

I have been using Garnier SkinActive Soothing Milk Face Wash with Rose Water before I go to bed all year.

Things I like about it:
1) it smells nice
2) it removes the makeup from my face with minimal hassle
3) it doesn't dry my skin

Things I don't like about it:
1) if I accidentally get some of it in my eyes (which I almost always do because I am clumsy) I'm in agony
2) orthogonally, I can't use it to remove eye makeup
3) my local drugstores don't carry it anymore so I have to order it online

In an ideal world, I would like to have a facial cleanser that does the following:
1) removes makeup, INCLUDING eye makeup
2) WITHOUT drying my skin
3) WITHOUT irritating my eyes
4) easy to purchase - would be lovely if I could get it from a drugstore, but if it fulfills the other 3 criteria I'm willing to buy it online

Does this exist? If so, what is it and where can I get it?

posted by thereemix to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (16 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite

I loooove the IT Cosmetics Facial Wash. You can get it at Sephora or Ulta and return it if you don't love it. It doesn't irritate my eyes even when really going at it. It's also not drying.

If I don't need to remove all my makeup (mornings, mostly) I use Glossier's Milky Jelly.
posted by getawaysticks at 3:02 PM on October 10 [1 favorite]

I use the Body Shop Vitamin E Cream Cleanser. It's not a soap, more like a light cold cream, so it doesn't irritate my eyes at all (which I always forget when I use any other product and inevitably get it in my eyes) and is not drying.
posted by sunset in snow country at 3:03 PM on October 10

Neutrogena Foaming Facial Cleanser.
posted by ThePinkSuperhero at 3:04 PM on October 10 [4 favorites]

Seconding Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser. Does a great job removing makeup and is so gentle, I rub it right into my eyelashes to remove mascara. Inexpensive and easy to find at any drugstore or grocery store.
posted by kittydelsol at 3:13 PM on October 10

Isn't this what Cetaphil is famous for? It can be rinsed off or just wiped off with a tissue which makes it great for traveling/camping/whenever water is at a premium.
posted by TWinbrook8 at 3:56 PM on October 10 [4 favorites]

2nd Cetaphil. So gentle and soothing, but really effective. And cheap and can be found anywhere!
posted by primate moon at 4:51 PM on October 10 [2 favorites]

Cerave's hydrating facial cleaner (not the foaming one) is available at every drugstore, pretty cheap, and I find it very gentle on my eyes/not drying. I can't say for sure if it removes all eye makeup (I wear a lot of water-proof stuff so I always start w/ an oil cleanser) but it seems to do a pretty thorough job.
posted by jouir at 4:53 PM on October 10

What do you think of Ponds Cold Cream? It hits all your critera and smells like roses.
posted by windykites at 4:56 PM on October 10 [1 favorite]

I use Purpose. No dyes, no fragrances, rub it all over the surface of my eyes and never have any discomfort or burning. Non-drying.
posted by Temeraria at 5:22 PM on October 10 [1 favorite]

I really love Jojoba oil from Trader Joe's for nightly makeup removal/cleansing. It melts away everything down to the deepest nooks of my pores. No soap even compares.
posted by gatorae at 5:45 PM on October 10 [2 favorites]

Johnson & Johnson Head-to-Toe Baby Wash. When I compared ingredients years ago it was the same as Purpose face wash, though perhaps fragranced differently (it’s a very mild scent), and in a huge cheap pump bottle. Definitely won’t hurt if you get it in your eyes. I don’t use a whole lot or get overenthusiastic about massaging the foam into my face like I did with foaming soaps as a teenager, which I think made them over-dry my skin.

(Although I just went to find a link and it seems they reformulated very recently - this seems to be what they’re making now, this (or the store brand equivalent) is what I’ve used for years.)
posted by needs more cowbell at 6:30 PM on October 10

Came here to speak up for Cetaphil. I've been using it for decades and have come back to it after trying many much more expensive things.
posted by rpfields at 7:24 PM on October 10

I've had good luck with Simple Moisturizing Face Wash, which is gentle and unscented. Also, using a bit of unscented micellar water before washing can help break up makeup.
posted by neushoorn at 11:33 PM on October 10

Garnier micellar water (or any other brand) is an amazing makeup remover- it doesn't sting eyes, and it even removes heavy duty eye and lip makeup. Apply it to a cotton pad and wipe gently to remove makeup. Then you can wash your face with whatever you want and you won't have to rub that product too deeply into your eye area and risk stinging, as there won't be makeup there any more.
posted by pseudostrabismus at 4:31 AM on October 11 [2 favorites]

I vote for Simple's micellar water.
posted by Ms Vegetable at 5:43 AM on October 11 [1 favorite]

I will second Glossier's Milky Jelly. I find that it does a really good job of removing my makeup, and I like that you can use it on either wet skin on dry skin (you rinse of course, but can apply it to dry skin).
posted by something_witty at 6:34 AM on October 11

« Older Dog Toys Under Couch   |   Alternative to IKEA ALVE laptop table Newer »