What is this stock robot sound, and where can I find it?

I have a robot voice sound effect as an earworm right now. It's been in a ton of stuff, but all I could find conclusively is this blink-and-you'll-miss-it clip of a robot busting down a wall in a Venture Bros. episode. What is it, and where can I get more of it?

I remember this robot voice sound effect clearly, and I hope I'm not the only one. It's a distorted electronic sound that almost sounds like a voice speaking gibberish. I distinctly remember a longer clip in which the voice seems to repeat "yawyawyaw" several times.

This is driving me crazy! Please help me identify it before I destroy all humans.
posted by FakeFreyja to Grab Bag (6 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

I don't know which particular library that's from, but the effect itself is an old speech synthesizer. Plogue's ChipSpeech does a good emulation of a ton of old chip-based speech synths, so maybe you can get what you want out of that?
posted by Jon Mitchell at 10:10 AM on October 10 [1 favorite]

Sounds like a Votrax speech synth to me.
posted by RobotVoodooPower at 10:22 AM on October 10 [1 favorite]

Seems to be some kind of speech synthesizer or voder. Here's Aphex Twin using one, whatever it is.
posted by neckro23 at 1:19 PM on October 10

If you're trying to think of where you've heard it before, it kind of sounds like the Imperial probe droid from The Empire Strikes Back.
posted by Ursula Hitler at 3:51 AM on October 11

To me, that is just like the SAM speech synthesizer on the Commodore 64.

Here is a cheeky example:
https://youtu.be/X4AjBfIjmbQ?t=17
posted by Don_K at 7:02 AM on October 11

I don't know what this "originally" is but I totally recognize that sort of sound, and hear it from time to time all over the place. Specifically I remember the Rabbot from Aqua Teen Hunger Force sounded like that, which brought me to this page claiming it came from "the vast X-Static Goldmine sound library". So it's possible that library is the source of this robot too, and what you remember?

Alternatively, they also linked to this video of something the Xbox used to do. So that's another possibility where you might have heard it.
posted by traveler_ at 7:09 PM on October 11

« Older Coffee table polymer book   |   Getting the Landlord to Yes Newer »