Finding replacement rubber grips for clipboard
October 9, 2018 9:06 PM   Subscribe

I want to get just the little, black, L-shaped grips that are on the corners of the clip part of some clipboards. As an example, here's an image of a clipboard that shows them. I don't know if they have a special name, and the search terms I've tried using are too generic and bring up many false hits.
posted by dancing leaves to Shopping (11 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
posted by dancing leaves at 9:07 PM on October 9, 2018

Not sure if you can find those as a stand-alone product, but you can probably recreate them with Sugru.
posted by samthemander at 9:29 PM on October 9, 2018 [2 favorites]

How many do you need, one, ten, or one hundred? If you're looking for a quick fix for a single clipboard any styrene-butadiene rubber (SBR), silicone, or polyurethane based adhesive could be used to fashion a replacement (i.e. E6000, vinyl adhesives, Sugru, silicone caulk, etc.) If you want to purchase them it is probably easier to purchase clipboard clip assemblies than the feet by themselves. If you need a small number of them you can purchase clipboard clips with the rubber feet for about $1 each ($7 for 6 at Amazon). If you want at least one hundred, you can purchase clipboard clips with the feet for $0.14 each ($0.0726-$0.1439 at Alibaba).
posted by RichardP at 9:31 PM on October 9, 2018 [2 favorites]

My field crew does this every year. we are experts in clipboard field maintenance and repair. Those doo-dads are called "rubber feet" if it helps and you can occasionally find boxes of them but many other things will do in a pinch: heat shrink tubing, rubber fishing line grips (bobber grips), rubber bands wound creatively, shoe goo, electrical tape etc. Buying a whole new clip makes no sense as they are usually riveted on and replacement isn't practical. The long term solution is to buy better quality all metal clipboards with a well tensioned clip instead of relying on a weak ass spring and rubber feet. So worth it.
posted by fshgrl at 12:05 AM on October 10, 2018 [7 favorites]

I'd probably use hockey (grip) tape. Just a couple winds around should do.
posted by seanmpuckett at 5:42 AM on October 10, 2018

For my purposes, I want just the rubber feet. Two in a pinch, but a few extra would be nice. I saw some attractive clipboards on sale, but they don't come with the rubber feet and I thought it wouldn't be too hard to lay hands on some feet. As it's shaping up to be more involved than I expected, I may have to hold out for clipboards that come "properly" equipped.

I'm using the clipboard to hold a 2-sided sheet of paper in a page protector. Both sides get marked on several times a day, wiped off, and reused. The rubber feet protect the contact points so the paper and protector don't have to be replaced as frequently as otherwise.

Clients will use them, so they need to look not homemade/cobbled together.

I prefer the low profile clips to the style on this example.

fshgrl, if my use case hasn't eliminated what you're referring to, I'd appreciate seeing an example.
posted by dancing leaves at 5:50 AM on October 10, 2018

As I mentioned above, if you just need a small number of rubber feet the most expedient method of meeting your need is to purchase a couple of clipboard clip assemblies. For $7 Amazon will sell you 12 rubber feet (after you remove them from the clipboard clip assemblies).
posted by RichardP at 6:20 AM on October 10, 2018

I would just use heat shrink tubing as fshgirl suggests.
posted by aspersioncast at 8:22 AM on October 10, 2018 [1 favorite]

Professional use? You may have more luck with an Ask that links that 'footless' clipboard, in search of a similar one with right sort of clip.
posted by Iris Gambol at 12:39 PM on October 10, 2018

Heat shrink tubing is a tube (obvs.) that will shrink to fit snugly when heated with a blow dryer. It would look fine if you replaced both corners. You can get it at Home Depot.
posted by theora55 at 3:58 PM on October 10, 2018

I was excited to learn about heat shrink tubing. My engineering consultant is doubtful it would work, due to the materials 'floppiness' and having to cut a slit in the tubing to get it on the necessary part of the clip. I might run a Science Experiment to test it out.

It is, clearly, a minor ask... I was just hoping I was missing something obvious in my failed searching and could take advantage of a good sale on clipboards with some personality. I might have proceeded if I had or could quickly come across some ready-to-be tossed clipboards and could salvage the rubber grips, I'm sure they pop right on/off. While it's true, that buying assemblies and tossing the unused portion would technically work, I can't bring myself to do that.

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful brainstorming and suggestions!
posted by dancing leaves at 4:48 AM on October 12, 2018

« Older Please help an old feller with identifying this...   |   Which exchange rate to use? Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments