CA "permanent vote-by-mail"
October 8, 2018 1:55 PM   Subscribe

If I'm registered as a "permanent vote-by-mail" voter in California, can I still vote in person on election day?
posted by eugenen to Law & Government (7 answers total)

Yes. Don't do both, obviously, but the permanent vote-by-mail is an option, not a requirement.
posted by brainmouse at 2:06 PM on October 8, 2018

Here's what the secretary of state website has to say about it.

Voting at a Polling Place after Applying to Vote by Mail
Even if you receive your vote-by-mail ballot, you can change your mind and vote at a polling place on Election Day. To do so, you can:

Mark your ballot and seal it inside the mailing envelope provided by your county elections official. Be sure to sign and date the outside of the envelope in the space provided. Then bring the sealed envelope to any polling place in your county, or to your county elections office between 7:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. on Election Day.
OR
Bring your unused vote-by-mail ballot to your local polling place anytime between 7:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. on Election Day and give it to a poll worker, who will exchange it for a polling place ballot you can use instead.

If you do not bring your vote-by-mail ballot with you, you will not lose your opportunity to vote at a polling place on Election Day. A poll worker will provide you with a provisional ballot, which will be counted after your county elections official has confirmed you are registered to vote in that county and did not vote more than once in that election.
posted by brainmouse at 2:07 PM on October 8, 2018 [1 favorite]

And here is the information for vote-by-mail ballots in San Francisco (if you're based there). If San Francisco is like Alameda, then you should be able to surrender your ballot and vote in person, signing the rolls. If you don't have your ballot to surrender, then you will have to cast a provisional ballot, so that they may determine your VMB ballot hasn't been "voted" and you're only voting once.

Remember - one vote, one signature.
posted by kendrak at 2:10 PM on October 8, 2018

Yes.
I have personally voted using the first and third of the three methods exposed by brainmouse.
I later verified that my provisional ballot had been tallied.
posted by the Real Dan at 2:13 PM on October 8, 2018

Turn in your vote by mail ballot at your polling place and they hand you a regular ballot. That’s it.

If you misplace your vote by mail ballot, they will make you fill out a provisional ballot.
posted by jbenben at 2:17 PM on October 8, 2018

Make sure you have an actual polling place. Some counties have all-mail voting and some have turned former polling place locations into dropoff centers.
posted by sageleaf at 3:19 PM on October 8, 2018

As everyone's already said, this is possible in CA.

When I voted in the primary, I witnessed a couple of people say they had been expecting a ballot by mail but for whatever reason didn't get it. They were directed to another table where a woman gave them each a provisional ballot, and she also asked them for ID, even though at least one person had a sample ballot with their name and address printed on it.

The SOS guidelines say to bring ID especially if you're voting for the first time; even if you're not casting a provisional ballot, it's still a good idea to bring some form of ID, if you are able to (utility bill or government-issued mail may count). More info here on identification.
posted by rangefinder 1.4 at 9:56 PM on October 8, 2018

« Older You loved Downton Abbey, now you love...   |   Showing solidarity with striking workers Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments