Slides not showing up in Keynote presentation

I made a slide presentation using my very primitive Keynote skills. However, when I set the display to presentation mode, some of the slides aren't showing up as I click through- all that shows is a black screen. When I go back to preview mode, however, the slides are there.

Do you have any idea what might be wrong? At this point the only thing I can think of to do are retyping all of the slides (50+) in a new presentation, but I'm afraid that the problem will happen again.
posted by foxy_hedgehog to Technology (5 answers total)

Hmmm, I've worked with like thousands of Keynote decks and I don't think I've seen anything quite like that.

But I do have issues sometimes where the display (laptop or external monitor) is the one being glitchy, not the deck.

The first things I would try are restarting computer and keynote, turning off/on monitor.

Then I would try playing it on a different computer or external monitor.

No one's accidentally keying "B" to get to a black screen?

I'd be happy to check it out over here if you want to send to me - memail for details.
posted by Uncle Glendinning at 11:35 AM on October 1, 2018

Do you have any animations turned on for the text? Although, the text should appear (or animate in) when you click the forward button. But maybe you're using some animation I haven't thought of...
posted by Betelgeuse at 11:51 AM on October 1, 2018

i have that happen in powerpoint sometimes. it is usually a video or an animation/transition gunking things up. maybe check for that?
posted by misanthropicsarah at 2:28 PM on October 1, 2018

Nope, I barely know how to use Keynote so no animation, just simple text. The black screen is showing up both on my computer screen and on the external monitor when I hook it up.
posted by foxy_hedgehog at 2:54 PM on October 1, 2018

Hmmm. That’s truly odd. And, just to be sure, you’re putting the text on the slide and not, say, in the notes field below the slide?
posted by Betelgeuse at 6:15 PM on October 1, 2018

« Older Baked meal-prep ideas   |   Bean(less)plating Newer »