What's a great mouse for MacOS that isn't 💸

My trusty Apple Magic Mouse broke today after three great years. I'm having a hard time stomaching the $80 they want for a new one. What other mice should I consider? I'm right handed and I don't mind cords for this one. I loved how the Magic Mouse lets me scroll sideways.
posted by advicepig to Technology (15 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

I like the Logitech MX Master series, and have used them happily with both Windows and Macs. There's a second sideways scroll wheel by the thumb. (Probably not a great choice for people with small hands, though.)
posted by kickingtheground at 1:27 PM on September 27, 2018 [1 favorite]

Is that Logitech any cheaper?

$80 is I guess a little steep if you compare all available mice, but I'll offer that I don't think I've paid less for a mouse in a very long time. If you work full time with a tool, it's okay to buy a nice one. $80 over 3 years is what, like 7 or 8 cents a day?

(I had the same problem recently, and just bit the bullet and got one of the new ones. I love that I no longer have to juggle batteries.)
posted by uberchet at 1:39 PM on September 27, 2018

I think most Logitech and maybe most mice support side to side scrolling with the wheel.... you just click the wheel itself left or right to scroll. Lots of them have little arrows next to the wheel to show right and left, but even if the arrows aren't there lots of them do it. The M500 is a great mouse that supports it and is $30 or less.
posted by Huck500 at 1:41 PM on September 27, 2018 [1 favorite]

I don't want to tally ignore your question as asked but my answer is "Nothing is a good replacement that is significantly cheaper than the $60-ish that you can pay for a refurbished Magic Mouse"
posted by jessamyn at 2:24 PM on September 27, 2018 [2 favorites]

The Magic Trackpad is better than any mouse, also lets you scroll sideways.
posted by w0mbat at 2:35 PM on September 27, 2018 [2 favorites]

You can get a refurbished from mac of all trades for $59 plus free shipping. I bought one as a backup since the new ones cannot be used while charging.
posted by blacktshirtandjeans at 2:49 PM on September 27, 2018

I really like the M500, and didn't even realize it did side-scrolling-- evidently I was using the basic Windows mouse driver that didn't support it, and have to install their Setpoint software. Knowing Logitech, there's a good chance that Setpoint software will be a nuisance until I turn off its most "helpful" features.

The only issues I've ever had with M500 are the occasional need for cleaning the laser port (cotton swab + rubbing alcohol), and getting lint off of the "feet", the 4 smooth ovals at the corners of the mouse base which get a lot less smooth when they grow a lint blanket. Elbow-grease or alcohol will do the trick.
posted by Sunburnt at 3:24 PM on September 27, 2018

I have a Logitech MX Master and like it a lot. It's definitely on the pricier end of mouses, but it's not like you need to buy a new one every day.
posted by Anticipation Of A New Lover's Arrival, The at 4:26 PM on September 27, 2018

The Wirecutter’s pick is the Logitech M705 Marathon, which goes for $25. Looks like it supports sideways scrolling, but takes up a USB port with a dongle. (They also suggest a dongleless $32 alternate.)
posted by ejs at 4:34 PM on September 27, 2018 [2 favorites]

I was you about a week ago! I bought a used, tested Magic Mouse on e-bay for $13 with free shipping. Works great. You can buy multiple used mice for the price of a refurb, and many, many used ones for the price of a new one from Apple.
posted by Larry David Syndrome at 4:46 PM on September 27, 2018 [1 favorite]

I second the Logitech MX Master.
I have a MX Master 2S and the thumb scroll-wheel is excellent, highly recommended.
posted by aurynn at 4:48 PM on September 27, 2018

The Wirecutter’s pick is the Logitech M705 Marathon, which goes for $25.

...and can often be found at $10 off its normal $27.99 price at Costco, where it's branded as "Logitech Performance Plus Mouse". I like it a lot (enough that I stockpiled a spare last time it went on sale) but I don't really ever use the sideways scroll; pushing the wheel sideways just doesn't feel very natural.
posted by We had a deal, Kyle at 5:29 PM on September 27, 2018

Warning: I have a 2017 MacBook pro and had lots of problems with the Logitech MX Master. There was frequent lagging with the pointer, sometimes severe. It seems to be a common problem.
posted by uberfunk at 11:07 AM on September 28, 2018

Breaking news: after leaving the Magic Mouse on my desk with no batteries in it, I decided to try it again and it works! It's next level turning it off and back on again.
posted by advicepig at 11:03 AM on October 11, 2018 [1 favorite]

Extra breaking news. It turns out that one of the sets of rechargeable batteries I was using has one bad battery! The next battery rotation brought back the "broken" state...
posted by advicepig at 8:56 AM on November 8, 2018

« Older Show me the natural beauty of Mexico   |   Help find a book: one's personality is written on... Newer »