Forgot to plugin in slow cooker for 4 plus hours. Can I still eat it?

Made a delicious-looking beef barbacoa this morning, assembled everything in the crockpot and sealed it up. 4 hours later, I wondered why my house didn't smell good. Facepalm. Forgot to plug it in. Should I still cook and eat it?

Cut of beef is chuck roast. It's 71 degrees in the house. Beef still feels cool to the touch. I'd cry if I had to throw this away.
posted by Otis to Food & Drink (10 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I wouldn’t even question eating it. Totally fine.
posted by tatiana wishbone at 11:13 AM on September 22, 2018 [5 favorites]

You are in the danger zone past two hours by food safety guidelines. If you intend to serve it to anyone that's immune compromised, I would discard it. That said, two hour rule is a conservative one and people have eaten beef that's been exposed longer for millennia.

If you are willing to take the risk, you can sear the outside well and then cook it. You can further reduce the risk by carefully trimming the outter layer from all sides before cooking it. A good portion of the risk with beef is e coli contamination in the slaughterhouse/butchers. You can reduce that by removing the portions that had exposure.
posted by Candleman at 11:16 AM on September 22, 2018

I forgot to mention that I already seared the meat, if that makes a difference.
posted by Otis at 11:18 AM on September 22, 2018

OK, I promise to stop thread sitting after this, but the liquid the beef is sitting in is pretty acidic. It has 1/4 cup lime juice and 1/4 cider vinegar. Does that improve my odds of not dying?
posted by Otis at 11:28 AM on September 22, 2018

I agree maybe don’t serve it to others without explaining what happened: but that’s totally fine and I would eat it without question.
posted by SaltySalticid at 11:33 AM on September 22, 2018 [2 favorites]

Same here, wouldn't even blink. Especially if it's just you eating it.
posted by Ziggy500 at 11:34 AM on September 22, 2018 [2 favorites]

If it was seared, I would eat it with the awareness there's a very small chance of risk as a result.
posted by Candleman at 12:00 PM on September 22, 2018 [1 favorite]

Oh God. Eat it, serve it.

Unless any of your eaters are immunocompromised.
posted by DarlingBri at 12:15 PM on September 22, 2018

Joining the consensus to say I would definitely eat that!

Also: any chance of you posting the recipe? Sounds amazing!
posted by ClaireBear at 12:31 PM on September 22, 2018 [1 favorite]

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Based on the responses here, I decided to go ahead and get it cooking. Looks like a late dinner.

ClaireBear, here is the recipe I'm using.
posted by Otis at 12:45 PM on September 22, 2018 [7 favorites]

« Older Doctors who can solve gum infection that won't...   |   I want to read about old ephemera, preferably with... Newer »