Best Enterprise Antivirus for Dummies?

Please recommend great enterprise level anti-virus/anti-malware options for a rapidly growing business with 200 users spread over 12 - 20 sites.

Through some folksy backchannels, the company I work for is taking on IT advising for a non-technical organization that is rapidly growing through acquisition and consolidation. Our new customer does not have a dedicated IT staff. Because of the rapid acquisition of numerous independent operations, there is no unified anti-virus solution. Each site currently uses whatever they independently decided to go with in the past. Most client computers will be Windows 10 systems.

We want to unify the antivirus across all sites with a central management system. The responsibility for implementing this does not fall solely on me but I want to have some better understandings of what are good solutions to suggest.

Looking around it seems like BitDefender GravityZone seems like a leading contender but I want to hear from some folks who know. I think with the lack of a specific IT staff something that would require minimal tending and has a lot of automation would be ideal.
posted by glonous keming to Computers & Internet (5 answers total)

The company I work for uses Sophos Endpoint. Full disclaimer - I don't have to manage it and I don't have to really deal with it in any way other than as a user, but I can say that the company I'm working for now has been (at least to my knowledge) free of any kind of virus and malware attacks.
posted by ralan at 4:03 PM on September 15, 2018

We use Symantec Endpoint Protection (switched from McAfee last year) at our 4000 seat org.
Seems good - lots of useful bells & whistles.
Above and beyond its base functionality, you need an ops team to really stay on the ball with policy management, alerting, monitoring (+supporting business processes) to get the most out of these tools.

Also, defence in depth is key (solid firewalls w/ audited policies, email-filtering, filtering-web-proxies, data-loss-prevention, client-education & awareness, least-privilege, ring-fence your critical organisational data, solid/tested backup, intrusion detection & prevention, multi-factor auth, password vaulting, log event correlation, audit & review privileged access, internal/external pen-testing & remediation, review of NIST/CIS/PCI guidance etc etc) + response plans predicated on already being infested with nasties (take an infected machine offline immediately, replace and rebuild it from scratch - check colleagues systems in case of spread etc).

All of this is risk-based of course - if your organisational risk profile is such that this type of thing doesn't apply or is not relevant then the org may make a conscious decision not to mitigate against this stuff. Ideally risk acceptance would be signed off as accepted by appropriately senior people - no one wants to be surprised by management saying "I didn't know the situation...".

AV tools won't catch everything + attackers often target high-value peeps (IT Staff, Execs) that often have the types of privileges that will let you bypass many controls.

Its a dangerous world out there - good luck!
posted by phigmov at 4:35 PM on September 15, 2018

My org. uses Cylance PROTECT (they switched from McAfee last year). Our IT department did a lot of research prior to picking this, and also cut a deal so staff can install and use the home edition on their personal computers without charge.
posted by gudrun at 6:12 PM on September 15, 2018

What philgmov says is excellent but while you're thinking about the topic the biggest threat currently is ransomware. With all the protection it can still get through and lock up everything. Everyone should be ready as if every site burned to the ground with offsite backups (cough tested). The very best virus protection does nothing for a new zero day (never been seen before) attack.
posted by sammyo at 6:17 PM on September 15, 2018

My org moved to google docs and gmail and that saves a ton of IT anti-virus effort.
posted by at at 6:30 AM on September 16, 2018

« Older Bookkeeping 101 book for a writer doing research.   |   Flavor Affinities for Pawpaws Newer »