Who is the author of this quote?

Two wolves can meet without being afraid of each other, but two men meeting in a dark forest always will think ‘He is a robber.’

I copied this down in a notebook sometime in the last couple of years but failed to write the author's name. I thought it was from one of the volumes of The Man Without Qualities by Robert Musil, but I haven't found anything either searching online or skimming through the two volumes I have. It could be something else entirely. (And I suppose I may have mis-copied it!) Now I can't even find where I wrote it down, so I can't triangulate using the date and what I was reading at the time. It's probably fiction, but could be something quoted in nonfiction. Almost certainly about or set in Vienna/Habsburg Austria/Austro-Hungary.
posted by little cow make small moo to Writing & Language (2 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

It's attributed to Johann Nestroy. Quoted in (the foreword to) "Three Comedies" (1967): "Buried in slapstick comedy lay his philosophy, his sober view of man: "Two wolves can meet without being afraid of each other, but two men meeting in a dark forest always will think, 'He is a robber.' ""
posted by dilaudid at 9:16 AM on September 10 [6 favorites]

NESTROY OF COURSE thank you!

It didn't really sound like Musil but for some reason I had gotten that stuck in my head...
posted by little cow make small moo at 9:24 AM on September 10

« Older What's up with this movie screen/projector?   |   help sibling with mental health issues and... Newer »