Recommend an ios app for recording phone calls

Can anyone suggest an ios app that can be used for recording phone calls and doesn't require a monthly fee? Most of the recommendations I've seen so far are for Android only or have some kind of monthly cost. I'm looking for a solution where I pay a flat fee for the app and don't have any other ongoing costs. Thanks!
posted by Proginoskes to Technology (5 answers total)

If memory serves, I looked into this long ago when I had an iPhone, and the reason you don't find any for iPhone is because Apple pretty much doesn't allow developers to do this -- doesn't provide them the tools. I think the reason you see the monthly fee is because the way that people implement this on the iPhone is essentially by redirecting the call to an outside recording service. I'll post a link if I can find something technical that confirms or explains this, but I'm pretty sure that's why you're not finding one-time-fee solutions for the iPhone. (Interestingly enough, Android's latest iteration just made this sort of recording impossible for Androids as well.)
posted by WCityMike at 10:32 AM on September 7, 2018

PC Magazine article:

"Apple doesn't allow third-party apps to access to the microphone and the Phone app directly."

"On iPhone, recording phone calls is blocked, period. The apps that do exist to record a call—and there are quite a few—have a workaround, but it will cost you."

And, if any Android users are reading this thread, here's what I was talking about.
posted by WCityMike at 10:35 AM on September 7, 2018

If you can get your hands on two iPhones then you can use the speakerphone on one and 'Voice Memos' on the other to record.
posted by Lanark at 10:55 AM on September 7, 2018

If you're able and willing to jailbreak your phone, there are several apps in the $3 range that can do this.
posted by crazy with stars at 11:48 AM on September 7, 2018

Try to get in this beta: https://ciaoalice.com
posted by aramaic at 11:52 AM on September 8, 2018

« Older GPS tracking for an elderly relative and a...   |   Tell me your birthday rituals! Newer »