How to best adhere/maintain decal on glasses?

I have a pair of high-end glasses but the sticker decal became all gooey and eroded. I bought a second pair online and I want to prevent it from happening again. I'm thinking some sort of seal on them to prevent it from happening. Any idea what would work best?

Hi all,

I have a pair of glasses that I LOVE but the sticker decal became all gooey and eroded in under a year by the ear. I assume it's likely from sweating, face oils, or hair products... or something like that. Online reviews suggest this has happened to the others that have purchased them.

Hopefully these links to the photos work! I didn't know how to embed them into the explanation.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qadst63qhglw0ba/MVIMG_20180804_190914.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pg0ufmz95qdccwo/MVIMG_20180804_190945.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dhkv55ipxowrx4s/MVIMG_20180804_191033.jpg?dl=0

They are under warranty and I'm going to have them replaced, BUT I bought an additional pair (exact same) online b/c I really like the glasses. They're no longer sold at the place I purchased them probably b/c they were faulty b/c of the poor wear and tear.

I don't want the same thing to happen to the new pair so I'm hoping to put some sort of seal on them to prevent it from happening. I'd appreciate advice on what would work best.

I'm thinking:
- clear nail polish (I assume I'd have to redo it every 6 months or so...)
- some sort of enamel or varnish but I'm not handy and have no idea if this would be effective.

Thank you!
posted by DorothySmith to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (9 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I don't know about Burberry, but whenever I have issues with my Maui Jim sunglasses, I just send them in for repair and depending on the issue, it either gets fixed or they send me a new pair. Have you tried reaching out to Burberry directly and explaining that you had bought an additional pair and you're worried about the potential wear? They might pre-emptively solve this for you by issuing a replacement, especially if it's a known issue.
posted by vivzan at 8:39 AM on September 3, 2018 [1 favorite]

I’d wonder if modpodge might do it.
posted by tilde at 8:55 AM on September 3, 2018 [1 favorite]

Clear nail polish is I believe a perfect solution. And I'm not sure you'll have to re-do it every six months. It's hardy, dries fast and (most importanly) thin. Other varnishes would work, but nail polish has been formulated to put on a thin, clean coat in small amounts, and to set hard and quick.
posted by asavage at 9:09 AM on September 3, 2018 [2 favorites]

Epoxy. Probably more durable than nail polish or varnish. Might be overkill though.
posted by zengargoyle at 9:28 AM on September 3, 2018 [1 favorite]

Oh, be careful and test on a tiny patch on the old ones first. I doubt it's a problem, but most of the things that seem like a good bet are full of solvents and stuff that just might destroy whatever material your glasses are made of. (But most are minor enough and drying fast enough that it shouldn't be much of a problem.)

I warn you of this because I've been taught my lesson. (I melted my X-Wing model trying to use model glue to balance the weight.) So don't ruin your new glasses!

Another thing which I don't actually know is possible but it sounds good... Clear thin heat-shrink tubing. Slide a bit over the frames, apply heat, it shrinks up tight.
posted by zengargoyle at 10:06 AM on September 3, 2018 [2 favorites]

Word of warning: Nail polish is formulated to be worn for, what, two weeks at the most? I used to be a member of a toy-customizing community, and those of us who had been at it for a while usually warned newbies away from using nail polish on their custom jobs, as it can break down and become sticky and gross over time (and that's from just sitting on a shelf instead of being exposed to facial oils, etc. like glasses are). Nail polish can also smear or otherwise ruin some kinds of stickers and decals.

Instead of clear polish, I used to recommend cheap polyurethane varnish (usually sold in craft stores near the craft acrylics). However, I have no idea if it's a good thing to have that varnish up against your face all the time. Mod Podge is another solid suggestion, but again, I don't know how it might interact with the oil and whatnot that gets on glasses.

But I'd be careful with nail polish.
posted by QuickedWeen at 10:14 AM on September 3, 2018

Thank you for the advice! I have reached out to the makers of the glasses a few weeks ago and haven't heard back. I had asked them if they could repair them or send a new decal so I could totally remove the old and put the new on but they never responded. I'll try calling and seeing if I can get anyone to talk to me. :)
posted by DorothySmith at 10:17 AM on September 3, 2018 [1 favorite]

I'd also go for polyurethane spray. Completely mask off all areas that aren't getting sealed and apply a few very thin coats allowing drying in-between. I'd let completely dry for about 48 hours. Even fast drive formulations need that time to completely cure and stop off-gassing.

Going to the manufacturer for a solution first is the best idea, though.
posted by quince at 11:13 AM on September 3, 2018

This probably doesn't need to be said, but juuuuust in case: make sure you remove the lenses before doing any kind of spraying on your glasses.
posted by acidnova at 11:58 AM on September 3, 2018 [2 favorites]

« Older Sugar-free month-long diet   |   What's unexpectedly cool to look at under a... Newer »