Help Tom Sawyer Out With This Here Fence

I want to whitewash the old wood picket fence in my backyard. How should I prep the food, and what kind of paint should I use?

The wooden fence is old, and I think a little paint could spruce it up.

How should I prep the wood? A wash will be in order; there is moss/lichen growing on parts of it.

What kind of paint should I use?
posted by ThePinkSuperhero to Home & Garden (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Prep the food, lol. Of course I meant "prep the fence".
posted by ThePinkSuperhero at 8:36 AM on September 2, 2018 [3 favorites]

Are you literally interested in whitewash as the medium? Or just white paint suitable for an old wood fence?
posted by Glomar response at 9:11 AM on September 2, 2018

I want to whitewash- don’t think the fence could stand solid color.
posted by ThePinkSuperhero at 9:29 AM on September 2, 2018

You want it to be as dry as possible, so check weather reports. Mow the area on both sides of it quite well.
posted by theora55 at 10:02 AM on September 2, 2018

Get one of the cleaners recommended for deck painting (wood) prep. The stuff is usually sprayed on with a pump sprayer, then hosed off after 10 minutes. For the encrusted moss you'll need to scrub/pry off the majority. Then for easy application of stain or whitewash use a pump sprayer.
posted by mightshould at 12:24 PM on September 2, 2018

What you want is white stain, which will be absorbed into the wood and looks like paint. I did my picket fence with this at the recommendation of several people and it looks beautiful after 3 years. I used this one on the lower pressure setting.
posted by waving at 4:30 PM on September 2, 2018

« Older Puppy parents, please help   |   What are handset options for Assurance... Newer »